Awkward is..

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WeaversPort

Voyages of Curiosity
Reaction score
When family can't decide how to relate to the black sheep...

In this case, she really likes the idea of the soaps you're learning to make. But doesn't know whether to hint about not being ambitious enough in your career, or ask whether you've started your experiments with goats milk soap.

:neutral:

You just go ahead and rock that black-sheepness, my friend! I totally get it! I never even had a dog growing up, but now I raise cattle and chickens, grow my own food, make my own soap, tisanes, salves, extracts, tinctures, and my whole family (other than immediate - hubby, sons, DIL's, and grandkids) thinks I've finally gone off the deep end. The truth is, I've never been so happy!

You just go ahead and rock that black-sheepness, my friend! I totally get it! I never even had a dog growing up, but now I raise cattle and chickens, grow my own food, make my own soap, tisanes, salves, extracts, tinctures, and my whole family (other than immediate - hubby, sons, DIL's, and grandkids) thinks I've finally gone off the deep end. The truth is, I've never been so happy!

I love that vision!! Far more than the corporate ladder climbing pressure. She's currently upset that we haven't "improved our living situation enough" to have moved out of our apartment and started looking for better housing.

Apparently, she doesn't appreciate the value of rent control in California... Or the fact I had a high pressure corporate job and hated it!

It took me a long time to realize that other people don't get to decide what makes me happy. And soaping just plain gives me the giggles. It's like Christmas morning when you were a child every time you unmold and cut soap. It's brought so much childhood wonder back into my life that I didn't even know I was missing. Soap on, my dear!

Last edited:
Hello from another member of the black sheep club! :wave: From giving birth to our son at home with a (licensed) midwife, to homeschooling, to making our own soap, etc. (I could go on!)...I guess you could say I've earned my badges. lol People either look at me with admiring awe and wish they had the courage to do the same, or else shake their head at me in shock and disbelief. :lol:

The winning-est question that a detractor has asked upon learning that I make our own soap, "You know you can buy soap at stores, right?" I really couldn't help but laugh at that. It was too funny. lol

IrishLass :)

Another black sheep checking in. I'm so sorry that this is part of your relationship with some of your family. It can hurt a lot when people close to you have trouble trusting your life decisions.

In the end, what matters is that you can enjoy the experience of being alive to the best of your ability. I hope your family still love you as you are, and will eventually grow to accept that you are the best person to decide what will satisfy you.

We've got an awful big herd of black sheep!!! I'm another one. I'm pretty sure my family never understood my need to make my own things and go my own way... I remember my mom saying, "why make it when you can buy it?" when I was about 19 and started making soap... I'm 47 now, and she still says she's embarrassed to tell people what I do...lol...

Yay for black sheep!!

Thank you everyone, it made Easter a little awkward and I was still smarting about it. I think the only thing that keeps her from making any 'but you know you can buy it'' comments is I think she finds cachet in being able to buy handcrafted soaps and things from tiny boutique shops or Whole Foods.

My brother, bless him, doesn't understand why I'm making soap.. But thats because 1) he finds bar soap annoying ("it gets too small and then you have to mush it with all the other slivers, and..."), and 2) he's used to his older sister being "the weird hippie, but I still love you."

You're not the boss of me.

I'm gonna have some T shirts printed.

On the other hand I did eventually find my niches and actually had employers ask me back.
I do NOT get on well with corporate America.
Now I live in my woods and watch the world go by.
At least while I'm not raising or canning food or making soap. Supper's on and the bread is raising. DW went to the movies with her pals. Life is good for this old "black sheep".

Back