Bath Tea

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stacyspy

Reaction score
Forgive me if there's a similar post... I couldn't seem to find one.

I like oatmeal baths, but don't like the mess. In my wanderings around the web, I saw a recipe for bath tea bags. It seems simple enough...1 c. epsom salt, 1 c. oats, and 2 T. dried lavender buds. But then they add 20 drops of lavender EO.

My (silly) question... if I make this up ahead, is there a chance of the EO making the oats moldy? Or is it not enough liquid to matter? Will drying it before putting it in a jar help? Or do I need to put a preservative in it? Or does this recipe need to go away? Any better suggestions?

Sorry for the bunch of questions at once :) Thanks in advance!

IMO, if you let the bath tea set out in an open container and stir it several times a day for a couple of days, it will be OK to put it in sachet bags.

Forgive me if there's a similar post... I couldn't seem to find one.

I like oatmeal baths, but don't like the mess. In my wanderings around the web, I saw a recipe for bath tea bags. It seems simple enough...1 c. epsom salt, 1 c. oats, and 2 T. dried lavender buds. But then they add 20 drops of lavender EO.

My (silly) question... if I make this up ahead, is there a chance of the EO making the oats moldy? Or is it not enough liquid to matter? Will drying it before putting it in a jar help? Or do I need to put a preservative in it? Or does this recipe need to go away? Any better suggestions?

Sorry for the bunch of questions at once :) Thanks in advance!

There isn't any water based ingredients, which is necessary for mold and mildew to grow. You should be safe.

What about making oat milk and using that in the bathtub with some scented epsom salts?

I've never made oat milk, but I'll give it a try :)
If I make more than one bath at a time, can I store the remainder in the fridge?

I've made oat milk - it's pretty easy. It will store in the fridge for a few days - maybe up to a week. Longer than that, I'd just put it in the freezer.

When making foot baths, I mix the dry ingreds, dot with EO, mix well to get all the lumps out, spread evenly on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, dry overnight, package the next day.
:bunny:

Back