When NOT to make salt bars...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Did you know when your kid is on a growth spurt that they fall a lot? Then the school calls and if you're lucky - they call right before you pick up your cooled lye solution. I was lucky 3 times lately. But unlucky Friday when it was time to cut some salt bars...and this injury needed a trip to the Dr.

So I now have some bars with cracks in them - just waiting for any excuse to slough off. I thought I'd just go ahead and break them up (hammer if I need to), then add to a fresh batch of soap (confetti-ish style)

Has anyone ever done that?

Moral of the story: no salt bars during growth spurts.

Btw no need to suggest I use cavity molds as I don't like the sizes. These bars go to my boys - the shortest of which is 6'2".

I am sorry, but this made me laugh. My boys are 10 and 11, and I know the big growth spurt is on it's way!

The other time to NOT make a salt bar is when you already have a lot on your mind. Yesterday, I planned for a very simple, very low CO recipe. At the last minute, I started getting ideas and turned it into a salt bar. I am not expecting much in the way of bubbles. But it's pretty and smells nice (Rosemary and peppermint). Maybe it will get ground up.

Could you warm the soap in the oven (maybe 150 - 170 F for an hour or so) and try cutting the soap while its warm? Might be worth a try.

I think Newbie has also done something like what you're proposing, if memory serves me right.

Could you warm the soap in the oven (maybe 150 - 170 F for an hour or so) and try cutting the soap while its warm? Might be worth a try.

I think Newbie has also done something like what you're proposing, if memory serves me right.

DeeAnna, the bars are 5 days old now and I did get them cut Friday, but since I had to use a butcher's knife it caused a crack in most bars that break off with a modicum of effort. I wonder if heating them will "heal" the crack...?? Worth a try.

I have ground up salt bars that I did not like, which is very unusual since I love most salt bars, and add them to a fresh batch of plain soap. They really turn out nice

How did you grind them up? Did you add the ground soap in similar ratios that you use for confetti soap? Some how I can't see if working at more than a 50:50 ratio.

Back