Soaping Equipment

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cellador

Reaction score
Hi all! I am new to soaping and the forum. I made my first batch of CP soap at a class, and the soap turned out great. I am excited to start making more!
I know what equipment is required, and I would like to start purchasing some items that I can hopefully use long-term. I'd rather spend a little more to have something that will last a long time vs. purchasing multiple items that only work so-so.
My question is: What things do you wish you would have invested in initially? Is there anything you would purchase again without hesitation?

Thanks! :)

I wish I would have purchased the silicone molds in wire baskets from Essential depot earlier. Also I would definitely repurchase my single bar Bud Haffner cutter (etsy) and a good planer.

I messed around with wooden molds and paper liners for a lot longer than I should have. I really, really like the Crafter's Choice 8 inch (1501). Two of them are about $40 and give you all the versatility you need up to the point you start making BIG production batches to sell. For testing you can fill one mold half-way and get three bars. One filled all the way gets you 8 bars that are a good size for the hand and have enough room for designs. Then use both molds if you have something you really want to make a lot of.

I never found the paper to be a pain. Generally, there is a time when the oils are heating and the lye is cooling which is usually ample to line a mould without rushing. Plus, when you want to cure the bars they can rest on the paper inside something else (I use shoe boxes) which makes things generally tidier. Considering that a reusable liner or mould needs to be washed (and washed jolly well to get rid of residue and smells) then there isn't actually any real time "saved" by not lining a wooden mould, you just move that time to the clean up.

I have this planer/beveler from Soap Making Resources, and it works very well. I bought it based on the advice from many members here. http://www.soap-making-resource.com/soap-beveler.html I have heard some people lately have been frustrated with the turn around time for processing orders, which for me was about a week, and poor communication which was not my experience.

A similar one is from Custom Soap Stamps on Etsy. I have a single bar cutter from there, and it is very well made.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/272556076/blade-less-acrylic-soap-2-in-1-planer?ref=hp_rv

I agree with BrewerGeorge about the crafter's choice 1501 molds. I love mine and really wish I had purchased them from the start instead of wasting money on some acrylic molds that leaked. A stick blender is a must for me, and I picked up the kitchen aid brand after my first one broke from being dropped on the floor. I've dropped the kitchen aid blender a few times, and no breakage yet! *crosses fingers*

These:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CDP5VS/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I went through many plastic containers for mixing soap and tossed any that would bend, flex, or simply feel hot when holding soap batter.

These are thick and sturdy, the red measurements aren't affected by raw soap batter. The handle is textured is helps keep slipping down if you're gloved hand has oil or batter on it.

Having those red measurements makes dividing batter accurately so much simply and quicker for me. I've never taken the time to fidget with the numbers to get a batch of batter to fit exactly in a mold (I don't like leftover batter). I usually make a 5lb batch that's divided between 2 molds. Each of my molds is Sharpied with the number of cups of batter it will hold if filled level. Fill the molds equally, then extra batter can be piled on top when it's reached a thick trace.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just tore my 1501 a new one. RIP
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1492463618.026186.jpg
I second a good stick blender, silicone molds (I'm partial to Nurture's, though spendy), and a good multi bar wire cutter.

and a good multi bar wire cutter.

Depending on your budget and whether you have an ultimate goal of someday selling, there is quite a difference in the cost of a single bar cutter and a multi bar cutter. I am happy with my single bar cutter, but I admit that I love cutting a loaf of soap. Purely personal preference, I just wanted to add that a single bar cutter is adequate for me.

I add my agreement to needing a dough scraper and miter box (or a good cutter of some sort). I currently use a cutting board and chef's knife with wonky results.

Depending on your budget and whether you have an ultimate goal of someday selling, there is quite a difference in the cost of a single bar cutter and a multi bar cutter. I am happy with my single bar cutter, but I admit that I love cutting a loaf of soap. Purely personal preference, I just wanted to add that a single bar cutter is adequate for me.

That's true. I never tried the single bar wire cutter types, only the mitre box types and could never get an even bar of soap out of them.

With that said, I purchased mine off of Etsy and I think it was along the lines of $120 for the flat style (not the tank type). OP did say she doesn't mind spending the $$$ :D.

Ninja Edit to say that I LOVE my cutter.

Latest posts

Back