Pencil Line?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewerGeorge

Reaction score
In my attempt to differentiate among these 16 scent samples with limited mica colors, I'm thinking of just adding different colors of mica lines in the middle of the pour. Maybe stir them in a bit.

My question is how do you evenly distribute the mica across the surface of the soap? It's very clumpy, and I can't think of a way other than to sift it like powdered sugar which seems wasteful.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are using individual cavity molds, you can mix a small amount of mica with oil and drizzle it on the top (just a few drops would be enough), and swirl or not as you prefer. The oil will absorb into the soap, leaving the mica behind.

I've got a Spifter, too! :) I don't use it for pencil lines, though. After experimenting with all the different fine-mesh sifters/strainers I have in my kitchen arsenal (including the Spifter), I found that the one that I actually liked best for making pencil lines is my 3" fine mesh strainer that came with my Green Power juicer. I get a better, more uniform/even coverage with it over a larger surface area.

I don't find it to be that wasteful as it is small enough to be pretty precise in my sifting. Any excess can be dumped back in my storage jar.

That's what I've found, too- that it doesn't take much mica to make a pencil line. I made a 1.3 lb. batch the other day with 2-tiered pencil line in it and it took no more than about 1/4 tsp. of mica. I started with 1 tsp. in the strainer at first, then just dumped the unused amount back into my mica jar.

Also- when I do pencil lines, I set my mold on a length of parchment paper to catch any stray excess mica. Once done making my pencil lines, I use a basting brush to sweep the stray mica into a tiny mound, then fold up the ends of the parchment towards each other and funnel it back into my jar.

IrishLass :)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are using individual cavity molds, you can mix a small amount of mica with oil and drizzle it on the top (just a few drops would be enough), and swirl or not as you prefer. The oil will absorb into the soap, leaving the mica behind.

Or mix with glycerin - either way it looks super pretty, and would serve your purposes as well.

The spifter looks pretty neat, but it seems a little small to me. When I want to dust my soap to make a pencil line, I want to get 'er done. I use a strainer/sifter similar to what Susie and Irish Lass are using -- just a fine mesh strainer about 3" across.

I have a sifter similar to what you would use to dust powdered sugar across a dessert. Then I use a spoon or something similar to "tap" it across.

I'm cheap, I use a small recycled spice jar with a pantyhose rubberbanded tightly on the top to sift my mica lines. I got this tip years ago on a forum somewhere, and just stuck with it since it works.

lol

I think that's a brilliant idea! I may take it to try next batch!

Back