FYI Sales of Bar Soap Declining?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier
Reaction score
We get a news magazine called “Bottom Line Personal”~ “Inside information from the world’s best experts” Here’s a tidbit from the latest issue -- FYI

Sales of Bar Soap Declining?

Sales fell 2.2% from 2014-2015 even though overall sales of soap, bath and shower products rose by 2.7%.

Research conducted by Mintel.com

OK, I refuse to get upset when someone reports that the sales of something fell 2.2%. And I am sure that those people changed to liquid hand soaps and body washes.

Also is that handcrafted artisanal bar soap or soaps like Zest™ ??? Because there is a world of difference between the two.

Does the research say what the margin of uncertainty is?
I would be willing to bet that it is 3 to 5 percentile points making the statement worth the paper it's printed on.

Statistical analysis ( research) requires that the is in fact a level of doubt in all research - it's a bell curve kind of a thing.

Well, WE all quit buying bar soap to make our own, right?? :p

My housemates have pretty much not had to buy soap, dishwasher detergent, laundry detergent, or beard oil since I moved in..

At this point the soap products we buy are pretty limited to household cleaners, dish soap (Dawn), shampoo, and toothpaste..

I do wonder if sales of bar soap are shifting from the traditional Dial, Irish Spring etc to artisanal soaps. It's one of those items that is a (relatively) inexpensive treat, it is consumable so it doesn't take up room, it has no calories. Kind of like the way economists use lipstick and nailpolish to gauge the economy - b/c it is a small, inexpensive treat.

If we're just talking store-bought bar soap, seems to make sense to me. Companies like Bath & Body Works (who doesn't sell bar soap, but lots of liquid products) seems to be pretty popular in my demographic (20-30yr olds) because of the affordable luxury aspect and the myriad of yummy scents they carry. And their cute packaging. I could see how store-bought Zest or Dial is kind of bland and old-fashioned by comparison.

I read that a few days ago when doing some searching about LS vs bar soap research studies that we were discussing on another thread. Mintel is a Market Research Group based in London. As to specific details of how this particular study was conducted, I couldn't find that information. When that is not available to me, I tend to discount the data, even if it might actually be accurate. I'm not saying it is not accurate; I am just saying that without including the methodology, sample size, demographics, etc. the research is suspect and cannot be validated. All researchers know that, so why not include that information in the report? There is a link to generic methodology, but it is useless IMO.

Back