Am I nuts or is this nuts?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenly

Reaction score
During a recent trip to a gigantic craft show, I bought a couple of soaps for comparison sake to mine, and for research into labeling. One of them was very poorly labelled so I went to the web site to see if it was better there. Under the FAQ's I found this:
" Because, the XXXX XXXX® is all natural, cold process soap, and contains no SLS or Parabens, it is far better than any store or boutique bought soaps. But because it’s also completely cured soap (ready to use), it has now completed its chemical reaction and so it’s no longer secreting rich oils, which in an raw soap, help soothe and nourish dry, itchy skin."

This is nonsense, right?

During a recent trip to a gigantic craft show, I bought a couple of soaps for comparison sake to mine, and for research into labeling. One of them was very poorly labelled so I went to the web site to see if it was better there. Under the FAQ's I found this:
" Because, the XXXX XXXX® is all natural, cold process soap, and contains no SLS or Parabens, it is far better than any store or boutique bought soaps. But because it’s also completely cured soap (ready to use), it has now completed its chemical reaction and so it’s no longer secreting rich oils, which in an raw soap, help soothe and nourish dry, itchy skin."

This is nonsense, right?

That last sentence in the quoted paragraph makes no sense to me.

As far as "it is far better than any store or boutique bought soaps," there are a lot of people selling what are probably similar handmade soaps in stores so, that is just a silly thing to say. That is, there are probably similar soaps at my local co-op, not worse and perhaps not better than the soap above. Also, as far as that goes, some people may want a syndet bar for whatever reason.

Yeah that entire paragraph just sounds like marketing puffery (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puffery) to me.

Nonsense is right. Just claiming their soap is far better than any other soap out there, is enough to say it's going to be nonsense.

The term 'raw soap' is used differently here than Kevin Dunn uses it when he talks about making soap. That really threw me for a loop. So I Googled the term and discovered at least one other company out there uses the term differently as well. IMO that is very misleading, if not irresponsible.

But because it’s also completely cured soap (ready to use), it has now completed its chemical reaction and so it’s no longer secreting rich oils, which in an raw soap, help soothe and nourish dry, itchy skin."

And it so does what??

Because the grapes have now fully fermented, it has completed its chemical process, which in their raw state would hydrate and nourish a thirsty person. Thank goodness they don't do that anymore....? :confused:

That's what I thought - we cure our soap to allow it to become milder and to evaporate the water and make a harder bar.
When I think of raw soap, I think of the batter before the saponification process has completed, which would be pretty harsh. I have found some people calling CP soap Raw Soap, as apposed to HP which I suppose is thus Cooked Soap.
Thanks for the responses!

Tip -- never quote something word-for-word from a website if you are trying to keep things confidential. (Or, as my students found out to their sorrow, if one is trying to plagiarize in a term paper.)

Here's another jewel from the same source:

"...Why can I not gift the soaps from Skinlicious Soaps™?
"You can! Just not right away. The soaps from Skinlicious Soaps™ are not cured, but are still raw when cut. These fresh soaps are still sticky and tacky, are not ideal for immediate gifting or use, and usually need 10 days to harden up before use...."

Source: http://skinlicious.com/store/the-soap-bar-organics/

I'm with Susie's dad on this one. I like a sales pitch that states the facts. "I make this from scratch using the cold process method, and these are the ingredients,....". I even like a back story, "made on our farm, using milk from our sweet goats". But as soon as someone tries to convince me of something, "far better than any store or boutique bought soaps", or starts spouting things that prove to me they have no idea what they're talking about, "it has now completed its chemical reaction and so it’s no longer secreting rich oils, which in an raw soap, help soothe and nourish dry, itchy skin", I'm walking in the opposite direction...fast. :Kitten Love:

Tip -- never quote something word-for-word from a website if you are trying to keep things confidential. (Or, as my students found out to their sorrow, if one is trying to plagiarize in a term paper.)

Here's another jewel from the same source:

"...Why can I not gift the soaps from Skinlicious Soaps™?
"You can! Just not right away. The soaps from Skinlicious Soaps™ are not cured, but are still raw when cut. These fresh soaps are still sticky and tacky, are not ideal for immediate gifting or use, and usually need 10 days to harden up before use...."

Source: http://skinlicious.com/store/the-soap-bar-organics/

Wait, are they cured or not? And 10 day cure is pretty short.

So they must be hot process? Or confused?

Here is another fertilizer section that needs an update:

'All of our Soaps are “Cold-Pressed,” which means that they have been formulated in such a fashion so as to keep the “fat molecule larger” in our Moisturizing Agents. What this means is the our Luxury Soap Bars are really Lotion Bars, as compared with the “Detergent Bars” you will find on most Grocery Store Shelves. You will experience a much higher moisture level on your skin. One Customer said it all, “One Sniff and You will Never Go Back.”'

I'm not computer savvy so didn't know about google alerts. Perhaps we could offer a service here critiquing other soapy claims... JK

giphy_zps0slpsph2_1.gif

No words.

Back