Greetings from Scotland

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanielCoffey

Reaction score
Hello folks - another new guy here looking forward to making soap for myself soon.

Although I have been lucky enough to have a local Farmer's Market with a soap seller in it (CP, vegan, non-palm), they have recently stopped selling one of my favourites - Bog Myrtle (myrica gale). In addition I will be moving to a more rural area in a few months and will lose convenient access to that Market.

After some inspiration from a self-sufficiency blogger followed by the usual trawl of Google I landed here and hope to make some small batches of CP with Bog Myrtle oil for personal use.

I have been keenly reading the HP Shaving Soap thread, picking through the recipe changes folks have suggested and have also enjoyed the CP suggestions for hard soaps that people have advised new folks to start with.

I have no aversion to using tallow although I will have to see if it agrees with my skin. This is one of the many reasons that you experienced folks tell new members to start small.

Anyway - I am looking forward to asking all the typical questions, looking for shoulders to cry on and hopefully sharing pictures of my new soaps.

Cheers,

Daniel.

Welcome to the addiction! You'll be soon flooded with soaps even if you make small batches. Take note( most important thing), ask questions, leave one full bar of every batch you made to see long term difference (I failed to do this, use it up soon, and giving too much away)!
Have fun! ;)

Greetings, Daniel, and Welcome!
I just did a quick google search and, as I suspected, Bog Myrtle (myrica gale) is an essential oil (additive) vs. an oil one would use to make the soap. You can buy it here.

https://www.aromantic.co.uk/home/pr...ils/bog-myrtle-essential-oil-myrica-gale.aspx

I read the whole article "Whatever Happened to Bog Myrtle?" linked on that site. It made me sad. But I digress. To make the soap you enjoy so much, you could do one of two things... (1) get the ingredients from the label and make it yourself or (2) Buy some plain unscented bars from the seller; grate up the soap; rebatch it; add the Bog Myrtle EO at the end; mold up and you'll have soap you can use as soon as it's ready to unmold and cut into bars.

Cheers back atcha!

Welcome, Daniel! It is a pleasure to meet you and have you along for the adventure. I too am very new, I'm only two batches further into the journey, and got to experience my first soap volcano this past weekend.

I can also say that I had not lived until I tried lard soap.. I've tried my first bar (early) and am eagerly waiting to see how it matures. If you like to experiment and enjoy the rush of mad science creativity turning into really cool stuff.. You will love it here. Everyone is really wonderful. :)

Thanks for all the welcomes and suggestions.

I will have to be patient until we move in June before shopping for equipment and containers for my first batch of soap but I can certainly "window shop" here until then (I might actually make it all the way through the shaving soap thread!).

You can start from thrift store or dollar store. Note that you can't use glass for lye water! It will shatter no matter how brambleberry soap queen make it look like a safe tool. If you want to use plastic, it is no.2 & 5. PP and something I for got the name. And do not use aluminum! Use only stainless steel.

I have picked up a small barista milk foaming jug in SS for mixing lye. It will be KOH first for a HP shaving soap.

All I am short of at the moment in the kitchen are small storage pots for the finished product so I will be looking at PP plastic tubs with lids. It is only for my own use of course so that will do as a start. Everything else has been scrounged from our kitchen and will be moved to its own box.

Latest posts

Back