Goats milk soap and mold

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone, i've been gone for a while because soap making was pretty much just a hobby for me. Well last year I started making goats milk and aloe soaps and absolutely LOVE IT! However, I have been experiencing mold on the soaps during the curing process when I use 100% goats milk....am I not supposed to use goats milk as 100% of my liquid?? I need help quick because my soap has just been requested in a store and for now, I have to use only my water and aloe soaps because I certainly don't want to market myself as a mold seller. I only do cp soap and create all of my recipes using soapcalc. IF i've left out any info you need, let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Add me to the list of those that doubt very much that it's mold. A picture will confirm it, but I'd bet my bottom dollar that it's nothing more that harmless ash (sodium carbonate).

IrishLass :)

Wild guess here too... If it's not ash, it might be DOS - if your recipe would be prone to it, the extra superfat you might get from goat's milk could push your recipe over the edge.

Does it smell "off"? Is the "mold" you see orangey/yellow spots? Is there any greasiness to it? If yes, they it's probably DOS.

If you think it's mold since the bars them selves smell like bad milk... you could have overheatted the batch.

Without a recipe and pictures though, we are all shooting in the dark.

Latest posts

Back