X year old soap & Y % superfat

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherrycoke216

Reaction score
I've been reading on this forum. And people say they got an old soap and it's still good. No rancid smell.

I've seen 8 year old, 20 maybe(someone's grandma made it) etc.
My question is, if superfat means somehow buffer zone of free fatty acid, your X year old soap is using Y% SUPERFAT? Why does the free fatty acid not smell rancid? Or DOS?

Please join the discussion even if your grandma wing it without soap calc or soapee. I would like to know how OLD is still going STRONG. ;)

Thanks in advance.

I wonder if there is something in the process - like how concentrated the superfat is (especially at the surface of the soap) and/or if something like gelling vs not gelling has an impact on the likelihood of a bar getting dos.

I have 10 year old soaps with a 20% superfat- no DOS and no rancid smell.

I believe that the reason why such a thing is possible has a lot to do with the types of oils used in ones formula, and also the fact that lye-based soap is never static. Basically, micro chemical exchanges continue occur in finished /cured soap that help it to maintain equilibrium as it is exposed to air and/or water during its lifetime.

Here is a post by our DeeAnna that helps to explain this interesting 'dynamic equilibrium' that continues to go on in soap: http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showpost.php?p=394531&postcount=5

IrishLass :)

Latest posts

Back