Scale question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artemis

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I don't know if this is right place to post this question... moved

I am a hobby soaper. I have a cheap, $9 scale I got on Amazon. I have never ended up with andangerous batch or anything, but I know my inconsistent batches are probably the result of my scale not being as accurate as it could be. So, is there a scale, or type of scale, that you would recommend for a hobbyist looking to upgrade? This is just about the only thing I use my small scale for.

How do you know your scale is inaccurate or inconsistent? Did you test it with something of a known weight? A way to test for higher ranges is to put something weighing heavier on the scale (like over a kg), tar it, then put your lighter known weighted object on with it. If it weighs as expected, good.

About 15 years ago I spent about $9 on a cheap Taylor scale I picked up at Walmart. Last year I bought a much more expensive Escali thinking that technology must have improved the accuracy in the last decade. But nope, both agree gram for gram throughout their range until the 2 kg mark is reached. Then they differ by one gram.

Last edited by a moderator:
This the one I've been using for years and years... works great, never had an issue with it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004164SRA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

That's the one I have, too.

How do you know your scale is inaccurate or inconsistent? Did you test it with something of a known weight? A way to test for higher ranges is to put something weighing heavier on the scale (like over a kg), tar it, then put your lighter known weighted object on with it. If it weighs as expected, good.

I compared it to a friends "fancier" scale, and they didn't come out the same. Also, it seems like it's not measuring very precisely. If I need 1.85 oz (just as an example) of something, it will hover just above or just below. Either 1.87 or 1.84 and never land in the middle. Maybe at that point, the difference doesn't matter? My batches are pretty small, just an pound each, 2 at the most. It's the accuracy in weighing smaller amounts that concerns me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back