New, Baffled and Desperate

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yodelma

Reaction score
I've alway been interested in chemical process and Science-Project-Stuff, but soap? Hot Process/Cold Process/Melt & Pour...baffling and scary.

I make a specific line of products for my dog rescue to sell for fundraising, because the breed we work with has very dry skin and is really sensitive to environmental toxins.
I'd like to make a dog shampoo BAR this year, but the melt & pour bases I've seen have Ph levels that are a bit high for their sensitive skin--and a cider vinegar rinse isn't practical or desirable. At the same time, I'd like something that the product has to rinse cleanly without leaving soap scum behind. And (not asking much, am I?) I'd like a bar that dries fairly quickly after use and doesn't absorb water or become mush--it needs to be highly portable and non-messy because, Hey, these dogs love to roll in Icky Stuff on walks and it's always nice to dunk them in the lake or river for a quick cleanup after a walk, instead of having the Icky Stuff invade the upholstery and airspace of the car...

Should I give up now and stick with my liquid shampoo base? I'm thinking that such a soap bar a) Doesn't exist or b) if it does exist, would be far beyond my ability.

Please, someone, point me in a direction--I don't know where to start :eek:

I agree with Kchay - soap (real soap) simply has too high of a pH for pets. I would also not use essential oils b/c they can be potent.

I am planning on making a brush-in moisturizer for dogs. I will infuse fractionated coconut oil and rice bran oil with calendula petals. coconut oil and rice bran oil are safe for dogs to eat, so I'm not worried about it hurting them.

Hi and welcome!! I'm with the other two. You'll want a synthetic shampoo bar. PH is way too high in bar soap for our little furbabies. The link Kchay supplied is a great place to start and learn about them.

Back