White Spots

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milashka

Reaction score
Hello,
I made this soap and it has these strange white spots all over. What do you think it is?

I used 100% Olive oil and 6% water discount.

_20161107_125824.jpg

If you post your process/temps etc and maybe we can help identify the problem. Are you using a stick blender to mix? You've been asked in other posts to share your process and you haven't responded. You need to give more information that what you are giving.

Have you zap tested your soap?

Good day,
Thank you for your response. For this soap, I used a Cold process and I used a stick blender. I also made a large batch; 36 bars of soap about 8 oz each. I also oredered - Phenolphthalein in Ethanol Solution pH Indicator for Titrations and pH Testing Soap Making and waiting for this to arrive.
I mixed oils with lye at about 150 F. Do you think the T was too hot?

Good day,
Thank you for your response. For this soap, I used a Cold process and I used a stick blender. I also made a large batch; 36 bars of soap about 8 oz each. I also oredered - Phenolphthalein in Ethanol Solution pH Indicator for Titrations and pH Testing Soap Making and waiting for this to arrive.
I mixed oils with lye at about 150 F. Do you think the T was too hot?

PH testing is not accurate for testing CP soap for the most part. You need to zap test it to see if there is active lye. PH does not tell you that.

Soaping at 150 is too hot yes. Also, why are you making such large batches. That's just crazy, especially if you are new to this. Heck, I sell and don't make that much at one time most times. That's a lot of soap to have to either toss or rebatch if it doesn't turn out.

Last edited:
PH testing is not accurate for testing CP soap for the most part. You need to zap test it to see if there is active lye. PH does not tell you that.

Soaping at 150 is too hot yes. Also, why are you making such large batches. That's just crazy, especially if you are new to this. Heck, I sell and don't make that much at one time most times. That's a lot of soap to have to either toss or rebatch if it doesn't turn out.

Thank you so much. I also sell soap so I decided to see if I can master batch to save time. I will zip test it as you mentioned and decrease a T down to 110 I think.

Tried to find what it means to zip test. Google seems to be not aware of this technique. Would you please share with me? I really appreciate it:)

Last edited:
how long have you been selling soap ?????? you've never heard of "zap test " before ? the steps you took to make your soap still remains vague if you want us to troubleshoot what it is and what & where you may have went wrong to get those large white spots , things like recipe and technique help to zoom in quickly and accurately to what is wrong.

ETA : btw , did you add any color [ TD white] to your soap ?

Last edited:
how long have you been selling soap ?????? you've never heard of "zap test " before ? the steps you took to make your soap still remains vague if you want us to troubleshoot what it is and what & where you may have went wrong to get those large white spots , things like recipe and technique help to zoom in quickly and accurately to what is wrong.

ETA : btw , did you add any color [ TD white] to your soap ?

No, no color. I only used lye, distilled water, 83% Olive Oil, 17% Laurel oil. I had 6% lye discount and 11% water discount. I mixed the oils and lye at 150F. I guess it could have been a problem.

i had white spots like this when i mixed in titanium dioxide

yep I've had white spots using TD (it wasn't an OO soap though).
I actually had multiple (newbie) conditions that gave me white TD spots.
1. I didn't strain the TD,
2. I scraped every little bit from the color cup, and
3. my lye was 15 degrees too hot. which also sped up trace in record time and didn't give me great blending ability.

lesson learned.

Last edited:
Back