Discrepancies in e.o usage rates?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikvahnrose

Reaction score
I think the consensus from many here is that soap calc is the most accurate lye calculator. But i am having an issue with it's fragrance reccomendations.

If i have a base recipe of 500gram oil. It says to use 15.5 grams e.o/fragrance.
But if i go to Brambleberry's fragrance calculator and input an essential oil say like Anise E.O. It says usage rates is only at (2.5-5grams) for 500 grams of oil.

It is a stark difference from soapcalc. But i would assume that BB's is more accurate because it's actually taking into consideration the type of fragrance used. So should i go with BB's suggestions and not use 15 grams?

How does soap calc work with a blend of essential oils that some are more irritating than others?

You do not add anything about your scent other than what concentration you want to you. Soapcalc has no information on IFRA safe levels. You have to research this yourself and then tell the calculator how much you want to use.

I don't know how to use excel for calculating usage levels for e.o's.

Im just asking. If Soapcalc's standard 15.5 grams of essential/fragrance oil for every 500 grams of carrier oils. Is it safe to assume that is the (Maximum) amount of e.o that can be used. (BUT NOT) the maximum for a specific essential oil. Like cinnamon which would need much less?

And find out ifra's safe usage standard of each essential oil that i want to combine with for my own blends?
Example: maximum amount of lime e.o and maximum amount of peppermint essential oil.

I don't know how to use excel for calculating usage levels for e.o's.

Im just asking. If Soapcalc's standard 15.5 grams of essential/fragrance oil for every 500 grams of carrier oils. Is it safe to assume that is the (Maximum) amount of e.o that can be used. (BUT NOT) the maximum for a specific essential oil. Like cinnamon which would need much less?

And find out ifra's safe usage standard of each essential oil that i want to combine with for my own blends?
Example: maximum amount of lime e.o and maximum amount of peppermint essential oil.

Each EO has a different max amount. YOU set what this amount is. Yes it defaults to .5 oz per pound of oil (about 3% per pound of oil). You would not want to use that much clove or eucalyptus as it can cause irritation. You might want to use 5% lavender tho. I really prefer the soapee.com calculator because I can change it to use % and not oz/lb.

But you also don't want to use more that 5-6% ppo of fragrance total.

Back