Lily stamens

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nframe

Reaction score
I am infusing some lily stamens in olive oil with the intention of using it to colour soap. Has anyone ever done that? What colour came out and did it fade?

Regardless of the answers, I will try it and keep you posted on the results, if you want.

Of course we want to know! Did you check if they were poisonness? (sp?) I have some memory of warnings about Easter Lillies

I know lilies are toxic to cats but I haven't heard anything about toxic to people. Off to Google!

Not that anyone would likely use such an expensive thing as saffron in soap, but I wonder if its color would survive.

No saffron does not survive. I had some really old saffron so I crumbled it up and added it at trace. The specks stayed orange for a couple weeks then started turning a brownish color. It was a early batch and was really bad soap so I didn't keep it for very long, not sure if it would have went completely brown or not.

all lillies are poisonous, as most flower, Calendula, chamomile and few others are exception. Saffron is too expensive to waste it, Better use it when you cook rice;))

From what I saw in Google, lilies are poisonous when ingested. Do you think it matters when they are used to colour soap? I had a look at plants which are irritant to the skin and I have not found anything about lilies in that category.

I don't recall having any adverse effects other than staining my clothing when gathering and arranging lilies. I grew up with calla lilies in our yard and my mom loved them in vases in the house. I have always enjoyed living Easter Lilies because they smell so nice and always are plentiful around my birthday. But I think Easter Lilies is one of the lily family not toxic. I don't recall; I could be wrong. I have had many different kinds of lilies growing in my yards over the years and have never had any adverse reaction with my skin from any of them. Now poison oak is another matter. Stinging nettles, another matter. Those two plants when they grew in my yard really played havoc with my skin.

But I never used any of the above in soap, so can't really address the issue of irritability after being subjected to lye.

P.S. Yes, I know stinging nettle is safe to eat (although not while quite raw and stinging), and makes a delicious soup. I like it in soup and have had it in tea, as well.

Ealene stinging nettle the one on very early spring is awesome in garden salad, as an addition. I use it to make infusion for salves, there is not better herb to fight skin contact allergies, and arthritis. Making a tea of that helps with different digestive problems. Stinging nettle is packed with minerals and vitamins, Whole my life I used it to rinse my hair in it. Very beneficial for hair
People on diuretic should not drink stinging nettle tea ,cause it is a mild diuretic:)

Lily stamens - update

I have finally made a soap using lily stamen infused olive oil. I am pleased to report that the colour is a beautiful yellow. I am afraid that the soap itself is not very pretty because I decided to use some bits from my attempt at Isg's Pears soap. This was the original post from Isg: http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=43252

I had wanted to try that soap for a long time. I finally made it but I don't like it as I find it too sticky which is why I decided to shred it. Anyway, at least the lily stamens were a success. Here is the photo:

No. 390 (2).JPG

Back