Why so many products that do the same thing?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Navaria

Reaction score
I've spent the majority of the day researching the ingredients in one of my favorite hair products. I've looked up each one and taken notes on what they do. I would like to eventually be able to make a product that gives me similar results, but doesn't cost $24 for a 1.7 oz tube!!
Here are the ingredients: Water, Amodimethicone, Cetearyl Alcohol, Trideceth-5, Polyquaternium-37, Phenoxyethanol, Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, Steareth-20, Parfum / Fragrance, Glycerin, Phenyl, Trimethicone, Cetyl Hydroxyethylcellulose, Trideceth-10, Cetyl Alcohol, PPG-1 Trideceth-6, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis Oil / Sweet Almond Oil, Biotin, Polyquaternium-67, Arginine, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Chlorhexidine Digluconate, Quaternium-33, Sodium Nitrate,Benzyl Benzoate, 2-Oleamido-1, 3-Octadecanediol, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Limonene, Benzyl Alcohol, Linalool, Silica, Sodium Acetate, Polysorbate 60, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein PG-Propyl, Silanetriol, Sodium Hydroxide, Citric Acid Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Chlorhexidine Digluconate, Quaternium-33, Sodium Nitrate Benzyl Benzoate
From what I can tell, they have 6 emulsifiers/emollients and at least 6 preservatives. I have no idea what the sodium nitrate does. I can't find anything on it in relation to hair products. Even SCM doesn't have anything. And from what I tell, all the sodium hydroxide and citric acid are going to do is cancel each other out. Why do they put all this unnecessary crap in there??

It's a split end sealer/protector for easily damaged hair. Redken Extreme Sealer Split End Treatment to be exact. I love how it keeps my hair from breaking off, especially where I put it in a pony tail.

I think you'd be better off getting that dinky $24 bottle. the ingredients in that stuff with shipping can run you and you have to think about storage and how often you use the product. I can't use that stuff since for starters, the fragrance is too far up on the list for me to use without using a pin brush to scratch my scalp (it would get there. Even if I could handle that, my hair is better behaved when I use cone-less products

Would it have to do with the reactions needed at different stages of its manufacture?
If it was one of my creations it'd be "a little of this, too much of that, something to make it better, repeat...and it works in the end so better not change the recipe!" lol.

Would it have to do with the reactions needed at different stages of its manufacture?
If it was one of my creations it'd be "a little of this, too much of that, something to make it better, repeat...and it works in the end so better not change the recipe!" lol.

That's what I was thinking. Or possibly they could make multiple products that they blend together in the end.

Ah, that would make sense. I didn't even consider that possibility. I think I want to do more research and figure out what the bare minimum I would need as far as preservatives and emulsifiers would be and then try to make a much simpler version that still has all the good stuff my hair craves.

Latest posts

Back