100% soaps questions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guspuppy

Reaction score
I want to do a 100% OO castile; and a 100% CO, 0 SF for laundry.

I know the castile is going to take many months to cure, but will it trace normally, and should I use a 33% lye concentration? I want to use a FO that says it accelerates 'a bit' but probably no colors.

For the 100% CO, if I did a 30% lye it was 42% water (according to soapcalc) and I wondered about overheating and made it 33% lye instead. Is that good or should I make it more or less? No scents or colors in this one.

I think your plan sounds good to me. I pretty much soap at 33%. I did my 100 CO at 33# and just got it to emulsion and poured it into the mold.

High OO soap can take a long time to trace so 33% should be good even with a mild accleration with FO. I don't like 100% OO so have only made it a few times.

Good luck!!!

I'd actually bump the lye concentration to 40% on the OO soap - if you aren't using pomace. If you dilute your FO into your oils, you'll probably still have plenty of time to work unless the "a bit" means "Holy soap on a stick, Batman".

I'd actually bump the lye concentration to 40% on the OO soap - if you aren't using pomace. If you dilute your FO into your oils, you'll probably still have plenty of time to work unless the "a bit" means "Holy soap on a stick, Batman".

Thanks, I'll try the 40% as I'm not using pomace.

Just did the OO one. With no color and no fancy stuff, that took like 10 minutes! I feel like surely I forgot something?? :mrgreen:
40% lye got hot enough to melt the plastic spoon I was stirring it with. Made me laugh!

I want to do a 100% OO castile; and a 100% CO, 0 SF for laundry.

I know the castile is going to take many months to cure, but will it trace normally, and should I use a 33% lye concentration? I want to use a FO that says it accelerates 'a bit' but probably no colors.

For the 100% CO, if I did a 30% lye it was 42% water (according to soapcalc) and I wondered about overheating and made it 33% lye instead. Is that good or should I make it more or less? No scents or colors in this one.

You can use 40% for the CO also. It doesn't trace especially fast and extra moisture isn't particularly helpful for a dry laundry product.

I just made 100% CO laundry soap with 33% lye concentration and -1% SF. Took all of 5 mins from measuring the oil to in the mould. AND I stick blended till it was a medium trace just cause I could. I looked at it a few minutes ago and its already getting hard in the mould. generating a little heat too. will keep an eye on it but im guessing it will be out and cut and grated in about 2 hours

If the Castile is for soap (not laundry) you can add 1tsp salt ppo mixed in with a little of the water reserved from the lye water. It seems to cure (go harder) quicker with the salt.

If the Castile is for soap (not laundry) you can add 1tsp salt ppo mixed in with a little of the water reserved from the lye water. It seems to cure (go harder) quicker with the salt.

I did 40% lye with it and it was ready to unmold and cut in less than 24 hours! I was quite surprised. :)

Back