Scent headache with FOs?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmkieva

Reaction score
I've tried working with EOs but I found I get a wicked headache, even with windows open and fan blowing. I thought about getting a respirator, but now I'm wondering whether FOs would have the same effect. Thoughts? I'm also going to get the BB fragrance sampler.

Some people are very sensitive to FOs, EOs, or both, but a person can't always tell ahead of time -- they can only give it a cautious try. Often times some EOs or FOs are the culprits and others are not, but it all depends on the person. Some can't work with any concentrated fragrances.

Are you sensitive to ALL the EOs you've worked with? Would you list the specific ones you've used? How do you use them -- how is the ventilation set up, do you use gloves, how long are you working with the EOs, etc.?

Everyone is different. I haven't really noticed a headache from EO's or FO's. So it's hard to say what you personally will or won't have problems with.

I do use gloves, I've worked with lavender, eucalyptus, pine, and geranium and I've tried making mixtures, so they're open for maybe 10-15 minutes. I work in a small area of the laundry room, big window open behind me and a fan blowing across the table (but not directly on the work surface).

I think the thing to do is just get a few and see what happens.

I get migraines. Some of my triggers are strong odors (especially bleach and florals) dark chocolate, bright sunlight and salt (no more corned beef or aged cheeses). I was very reluctant to use FOs because of the frequent migrains. However, I've given them a try and so far, I haven't had any problems. I make sure I stay away from anything that has rose, orchid, jasmine and stargazer lily in it. My cousin requested a gardenia soap and I cringed; but the "White Gardenia Flowers" from Crafter's Choice didn't give me a headache even though it does have lily in it. However, I do make sure I've taken a couple of OTC migraine tablets before I'm going to be using any type of heavy floral scents. That's a trick my neurologist told me about: take a couple of Excedrin migraine if you are going to be exposed to a known trigger. It can reduce or eliminate the migraine. I can safely eat blue cheese (in moderation) again because of this wonderful woman!! (Life without Stilton is no life at all.)

Lemongrass EO gives me a terrible headache. I can still use it but the soap needs to be put outside or locked away in another room until the scent mellows out some. So far no FO has had the same affect.

I don't work extensively with FOs but I know I can get a headache from high amounts of them. Unless a particular scent is on the light side, I will try to keep things to a minimum.

Few FOs make me nauseated but that's it.
Maybe you are just super sensitive, we are all different.
So speak to your Dr if you are concerned and get help with medication if it hits again. And to be sure if it's migraine. Simple pain meds won't touch ...at least mine it doesn't. It's worlds apart from normal headache.
Triggers for me are loud noises (like family gatherings) and monthly cycle. It comes every month without a fail. Last one lasted 72h .... I'm seeing Dr to discuss few different meds.

Latest posts

Back