gel phase flattens my decoration

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thalia123

Reaction score
I have formula make of : palm, coconut, olive, and castor oil, and milk.
So far i have a good soap bar, but the problem is when i make texture on top of the soap after pouring into the mold and reach heavy trace.
But i observe during gel phase the soap becoming more liquid and the texture is gone and only leaving flat surface :(

Would you please give me advice to solve this problem.

Thank you in advance

Welcome, Thalia! :)

How heavily traced is your soap when you start texturing the top? It may be that all you need to do is just wait a little bit longer after pouring the thickly-traced batter into your mold for it to get really super-thick before you start texturing. That's what I do when I want my texture to last through gel (I gel all my soaps).

IrishLass :)

Please tell us your recipe and soaping temperature so we can make sure you aren't getting false trace. Sometimes if you use a lot of hard oils, they are simply becoming solid while you are mixing the batter.

Also, please tell us your lye calculator and the settings you are using. It is possible that decreasing the amount of water you are using could be helpful for various reasons, including increasing the temperature at which the soap gels.

Welcome to the forum. :)

That sounds a little logical to me if you have made a very weird and deep texture topping, as gel phase might smooth it a little, but I don't think too much.

Do you have photos of before and after gel phase from the specific issue?

Tell us your method for gelling. If it's becoming fully liquid you may be overheating the soap. I once overheated my honey gm soap and it became completely liquid. Very odd appearance. I could see if that soap was textured, it would have lost it from the heat causing it to become liquid.

Back