Christmas Crack......oh no!!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navigator9

Reaction score
This recipe has been floating around for as long as I've been on the internet, but somehow I've never gotten around to making it. Saltines and chocolate? I don't know, somehow it just didn't sound too appetizing. Well, things have been pretty hectic around my house for the past several months, and I just don't have a lot of oomph this holiday season, but I did want to make something for guests to nibble on, or to give them to take home, so I decided I'd give it a go, because it's really simple and quick and the recipe is still around, so how bad could it be. Bad idea. This stuff really is addicting! And I topped it with toasted, slivered almonds. I think I'll try sea salt on the next batch. I'm trying to figure out some way of hiding it from myself! lol

Here's the recipe I followed, adjusted a little for my size pan. Preheat the oven to 400. (Recipes vary a lot on the temp.) Line a jelly roll pan, (cookie sheet sized pan with shallow sides, to prevent the "goo" from escaping). Line the pan with foil or parchment. Lay down saltines, side by side, not overlapping, to cover the pan. Imagine a wall to wall carpet of saltines. My pan held just over a sleeve of saltines. Melt 6oz. butter and 6oz. brown sugar (this was the part I adjusted for my pan) til bubbly and stir until the butter is completely incorporated. Pour this mixture over the saltines, and spread til all are evenly covered. Put in the oven for about 3 minutes, or until bubbly.Keep an eye on it, don't let it burn, just bubble. Remove from oven and sprinkle a 12 oz. bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips on top. As soon as they are "melty" spread over the saltines. I used an offset spatula, and it worked really well. At this point I sprinkled the almonds on top. Cool thoroughly. I popped mine in the freezer, because I couldn't wait. Once cooled, peel off the foil or parchment, and break into pieces. Try not to eat it all yourself!

There are a zillion recipes for this on Pinterest and Yahoo, all a bit different, but I'm sure they're all good. If you're looking for something quick and yummy, this fits the bill.

I also made these for something salty/spicy. Oh yum...makes me want a margarita! http://www.plainchicken.com/2013/11/fire-crackerz-football-friday.html

Oh, I may have to try this with the graham crackers. Got a pot luck coming up, just finger foods.

I must be under the same rock as IL, lol. I haven't seen these either but now it's on my list to make for the holidays. I think I'll line up saltines on one half and graham crackers on the other. Strictly for experimentation purposes only of course......

Thanks for sharing Navigator! (you enabler, you:lol:)

I must be under the same rock as IL, lol. I haven't seen these either but now it's on my list to make for the holidays. I think I'll line up saltines on one half and graham crackers on the other. Strictly for experimentation purposes only of course......

Thanks for sharing Navigator! (you enabler, you:lol:)

Don't mention it. :wink: Oh, this is such a dangerous time of year. Please report on the results of your experiments. All the variations above sound yummy!

I've done the rolo/pretzel/pecan combo before - it's really dangerous to have them lying around!

Your variation sounds good, but I really shouldn't keep those kinds of temptations around. :)

I've done the rolo/pretzel/pecan combo before - it's really dangerous to have them lying around!

Your variation sounds good, but I really shouldn't keep those kinds of temptations around. :)

It's particularly dangerous because it's the perfect combo of sweet and salty, not so cloyingly sweet that you can only eat a little. I guess the solution is to make it and give it away...fast. Like seriously fast!

Has anyone ever tried potato chips dipped in chocolate? This is one of those things that I said didn't sound good at all, but decided to go ahead and try it just because I was curious. Wow, are they good! You just get the thick ruffle or wavy type potato chips and dip them (most of the way, I didn't dip the whole thing because I was afraid it would make them soggy) in melted chocolate almond bark or vanilla almond bark, both of them are good!

Has anyone ever tried potato chips dipped in chocolate? This is one of those things that I said didn't sound good at all, but decided to go ahead and try it just because I was curious. Wow, are they good! You just get the thick ruffle or wavy type potato chips and dip them (most of the way, I didn't dip the whole thing because I was afraid it would make them soggy) in melted chocolate almond bark or vanilla almond bark, both of them are good!

No...but I've had them with butter pecan ice cream. I love salty/sweet. Chocolate sounds good too!

Back