CP Separating layers

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saintlysoaper

Reaction score
A short while ago I came across a website here in the UK which sells soaps made from 50% coconut oil and 50% rapeseed oil. This intrigued me as I had read rapeseed can be very prone to DOS at high levels and I know coconut would not normally be used at that level in soap for skin. They also stated a minimum 4 weeks cure time. The reviews of this soap stated how mild it was so I bought a bar and was surprised to find that this was true. It lathered very well and seemed a good hard bar.

Of course I then had to give it a go didn't I? I mean, it was such an easy recipe!

I guessed at 10% SF as offsetting the CO somewhat but not allowing too much unsaponified RSO.

Well... For the first time ever I experienced CP layers which have not bonded well. The batter was prone to separating but I made sure it was stick blended to a good medium trace, I poured it uncoloured then tinted the top layer pink for easy identification on my drying rack. The mixture was visibly fluid in the moulds as I put them to one side and the next day I popped them out easily and saw distinct line between the layers which I could easily prise apart:?
The soap is still very soft but that does not worry me at only day 2.

Does anyone know why CP layers would not bond well?

Last edited:
Did your soap go through the gel-stage? I ask because the gel-stage will help layers to adhere to each other better.

IrishLass :)

No, it didn't gel, but then I never gel my soaps as I prefer the more muted colours.

Another thing I forgot to mention, there are white bands around each bar in the middle of the White and pink layers. Not separation, just a look of soda ash in a band around the bar. I tried to lather a little of it in gloved hands and it already lathers well so it seems to be saponifying okay.

Last edited:
Back