Need A Little Help With Bath Bomb Recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

commoncenz

Reaction score
Well, I guess I'll dip my toe in the Bath Bomb arena. I've been looking at different recipes for the last 4-5 days and it seems like everyone has a different recipe, idea, etc. etc.

The problem for me is that I don't want to work in "cups of this" and/or "1/2 cups and Tbs of that". I'd prefer to work in percentages in case I develop a recipe that I want to duplicate on a bigger scale. Anyhow, I tried to make my own recipe and would like the help of those of you who are proficient at this in determining if this is workable. The recipe is:

50% Baking Soda
25% Citric Acid
12% Kaolin Clay
5% Apricot Kernel Oil
5% ewax
3% FO

Last edited:
What gave you the idea to add ewax? I just ordered some from Soaper's Choice for lotion making but might give it a shot in bath bombs. Also have apricot kernel oil and considered using it because it seems like a lighter oil that might not leave the tub so greasy.

I was planning to make some bombs tonight so may give your recipe a shot but will sub colloidal oatmeal for the kaolin clay. Curious to see feedback from others . . . especially Krystalbee after posting pics of her awesome bombs.

In searching through the forum over the last few days, I saw a few posts from Hazel saying that she had used ewax in her bath bombs with some success. She says it helped to keep the oil from leaving a ring in the tub and that her bombs made with ewax left the skin feeling as if a light lotion had been applied. So, I figured I'd try it. lol. The Apricot Kernel Oil was something my mother bought me by mistake, so I have to figure a few things to use it in.

Following, as I'm also interested in the replies. I've attempted some recently using a basic recipe of 2:1 baking soda to citric acid - it works, but I find it difficult to reproduce accurately.

My problem has always been over-spritzing with witch hazel and ending up with warty looking bombs. Last time I only used shea butter to bind them together. It worked great as far as no wartiness but the bombs were kinda heavy and greasy. If Hazel suggested the ewax I'm giving it a shot . . . her advice is usually well researched.

I haven't tried ewax, but I do use poly 80 to emulsify my oils into the water. 1% - 2% makes a surprising large difference. Most of the recipes I've seen have a 3:1 Baking Soda:Citric Acid amount.

I only use oils to bind. Witch Hazel seems to evaporate too quickly in my dry environment.

I haven't tried ewax, but I do use poly 80 to emulsify my oils into the water. 1% - 2% makes a surprising large difference. Most of the recipes I've seen have a 3:1 Baking Soda:Citric Acid amount.

I only use oils to bind. Witch Hazel seems to evaporate too quickly in my dry environment.

3:1? Wow! Most of the ones I've seen have been 2:1 Baking Soda:Citric Acid.

3:1? Wow! Most of the ones I've seen have been 2:1 Baking Soda:Citric Acid.

Doh, you're totally right. Ignore me please. I use2:1 too.

I'm running on very little sleep - getting ready for have family stay with me for the week. I have too much of my mom in me to allow for anything to be out of place when company is coming. That leaves me running around like an idiot...

Well, I "tried" to make some a little while ago. I definitely over-spritzed with the witch hazel. Back to the drawing board later tonight .. lol

Hi Commoncenz, i do mine without spritzing any witch hazel at all.

I first mix everything except the citric acid. I mix the baking soda, color, oils together, then add the essential oils, and when all is done i mix the citric acid in. I found this best, as if i put too much the mix started acting already.
2:1 baking soda to citric acid is best. Too much citric acid and the bomb fizzes away too fast i find.

I am also a bit shy of this as just signed on here recently, but if it is okay, i have a youtube video 'journaling' my bath fizzy making adventures. In one i show what the bath bomb is like when you put e-wax with it, should i pm this to you?
Making bath bombs is frustrating fun if that makes any sense :)

I would like to see your adventures in bath bomb making. Please post the link for us all to see!

ok : )
I just have what the end results look like with the ones that didn't get shaped perfectly. but just to have a 'visual documentary' of what the different ingredients and methods do. I wrote most things down in the description box to, as feel too funny talking and putting that online.

This is the one with e wax. I weighed out 5% of the weight of oil i used, and that was how many grams of ewax i added, and this was the result.

http://youtu.be/eCq3nZC9Vxs

Very nice Unsalted. Thank you for posting your demo. I see you have more and I will be looking at them tonight!

Thanks commoncenz....haha i decided whatever i do bath fizzy wise i am taking a video. I a, not so patient, and some of them i try only an hour or so after making, then a few days later they fizz much better, but all for experiments sake :)
My favorite experiment so far is this one...i speeded it took its sweet sweet time to dissolve!

http://youtu.be/9wMNIWew01s

Back