Is this mid or ho sunflower oil?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Our Trader Joe's now carries cold pressed sunflower oil, but I can't find
the thread that explains how to tell if it's ho. The label says this:

Saturated Fat 1.5g
Polyunsaturated Fat .5g
Monounsaturated Fat 12g
Vitamin E 20%

Regardless, I bought a bottle because I'm out of avocado and ho safflower so I intend to use it; I'm just wondering if I need to add some roe. Thanks!

What does it say in the ingredients list? I buy the Hollywood brand HO Safflower oil myself, and it says right in the ingredients "Expeller Pressed High Oleic Safflower Oil". I would hope that the Trader Joe's brand would specify if it were HO if it was so. If it just says 'Safflower Oil' in the ingredients, then I would doubt if it is HO.

IrishLass :)

I doubt it is high oleic
I always check the oils section and had never seen in grocery store High oleic sunflower

Yep, it's HO -- this oil has about 85% monounsaturated fat in it. That's what oleic acid is -- monounsaturated fatty acid. Although there are other monounsaturated fatty acids, the predominant monounsaturated fatty acid in typical soaping and cooking fats would be oleic. Myrisitic, lauric, palmitic, and stearic are all saturated. Linoleic and linolenic are polyunsaturated.

If your monounsaturated % was around 50%-ish, it would be a mid-oleic sunflower. If under 20% or so, it would be regular sunflower. You can also check the label for "good for frying or sauteeing" or something like that -- that's also a tip that the oil is high oleic.

The math:

Saturated Fat 1.5g
Polyunsaturated Fat .5g
Monounsaturated Fat 12g

Total fat = 1.5 + 0.5 + 12 = 14

% oleic (monounsaturated) = 12 / 14 * 100 = 85.7%

I get my sunflower oil from Walmart, it has 9g monounsaturated, 4g Polyunsaturated, 1g Saturated. so 9/14*100 = 64...so is mine a mid-oleic sunflower oil?

Thank ;you Deeanna I was wondering, cause many oils do not have description, now no problem, I had print it and will keep in my purse, Thank you:))

Hey thanks DeeAnna, that's a great math tool (and simple - for us math challenged people) to keep on hand! Thank you so much! I've always wanted to try sunflower oil but only found ho safflower and it's way more expensive than TJ's sunflower.

My rule of thumb is this --

a lot more than half monounsaturated fat = high oleic
about half mono = mid
a lot less than half mono = regular

Latest posts

Back