Recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eclecticsprint

Reaction score
In terms of teaspoons or tablespoons, if I am making scrubs that include one cup of sugar, how many teaspoons or tablespoons per cup of sugar of Optiphen and vitamins should I add?

When it comes to things like preservatives, I would really bite the bullet and work in weight, ideally grams as it allows a greater level of accuracy.

So, as an edit, what is the entire recipe?

sugar
fruit or vegetables
vitamins B, D, E
Aloe
Essential Oils or Fragrance Oils
Carrier Oils
Optiphen Plus

I don't measure my ingredients but scrubs come out smooth and creamy. I want to make certain my measurements are accurate for vitamins, aloe and preservative.

I wouldn't risk using fruits or vegetables in a scrub even with a preservative. You are asking for all kinds of possible trouble. Hopefully you aren't selling it. If you are I would have it tested. You need to measure your ingredients accurately ounces at least, grams preferable. Optiphen Plus recommended usage rate is .75-1.5% of your product weight.

Last edited:
I wouldn't risk using fruits or vegetables in a scrub even with a preservative. You are asking for all kinds of possible trouble. Hopefully you aren't selling it. If you are I would have it tested. You need to measure your ingredients accurately ounces at least, grams preferable. Optiphen Plus recommended usage rate is .75-1.5% of your product weight.

I incorporate fruit in most of my scrubs and haven't experienced any problems. (been making scrubs for a year) What problems are you referring and what type of testing?

I incorporate fruit in most of my scrubs and haven't experienced any problems. (been making scrubs for a year) What problems are you referring and what type of testing?

Fruits contain water that will cause mold, bacteria and other ickies to grow. I would be seriously concerned with someone getting an infection especially since you don't really measure properly to know how much preservative to use.

You can send your products to labs for testing. I don't have the link but this has been discussed previously.

I don't think Optiphen will work for your product with the fruit in it. Read carefully what it can be used in. Some preservatives can be used in oil only products and others in water based.

I personally wouldn't take the risk. Even with having product liability insurance. Not worth it to me.

Fruits contain water that will cause mold, bacteria and other ickies to grow. I would be seriously concerned with someone getting an infection especially since you don't really measure properly to know how much preservative to use.

You can send your products to labs for testing. I don't have the link but this has been discussed previously.

I don't think Optiphen will work for your product with the fruit in it. Read carefully what it can be used in. Some preservatives can be used in oil only products and others in water based.

I personally wouldn't take the risk. Even with having product liability insurance. Not worth it to me.

What's your take on frozen fruit?

Okay, I went back and looked at some previous posts. Your first posts almost a year ago was pretty much the same question. Except you said it was all oils so I'm guessing at that time you weren't introducing fruit into them. Even back then you were told to create by using measurement (another post) for accuracy. It doesn't sound like you took any of the advice given back then. I highly recommend you visit www.swiftcraftymonkey.com and do some homework on preservatives and even body butters. She is a fountain of knowledge.

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=48846 http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=50039

I highly recommend you visit www.swiftcraftymonkey.com and do some homework on preservatives and even body butters. She is a fountain of knowledge.

If I was making anything that required some extra thought on preservatives, I would definitely do a refresher course on them by reviewing her posts on anything relevant on that site. She is really, really knowledgeable and good at explaining.

Back