SMF Soap Challenge August - Inverted Stamping

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't read any of the posts in previous contests so I was surprised that everyone here is sharing. It isn't cut throat competitive and I like that. Everyone is kind. I'm guessing most of you have seen Paperclip Art. There are some really cool paperclips but they have to be ordered from China; 39 days to delivery. I wish I had ordered them when I first saw them. Here are a few things that I was thinking about:

dragonflys.JPG

paperclip-angel-ornament23-270x260.jpg

images

A80-FLOWERS-AND-GRASS-PAPER-CLIP-SET-4-STAINLESS-HAND-MADE-ART-CRAFTS-HOME-OFFICE-GIFT.jpg_200x200.jpg

Teresa, those are great! I can't imagine being deft enough to get paper clips bent into such perfect shapes ...

I don't think people are very competitive here, it really is all about learning and sharing while doing it. After doing our challenges, I don't think I would like doing others, they just seem like a much more solitary process, that does not seem like as much fun to me.

This one looks like a fabulous way to really mess up some of my soap tops. I have a bad habit of accidentally smooshing things into it. Now, I can try to do it on purpose. :)

1. Lionprincess

2. Sonya-m

3. PinkCupcake

4. Dillsandwich

5. Vkumudini

6. Balloons

7. KCHaystack

8. not_ally (argh, 10 batches of inverted stamping tries in my future. This looks hard (imagine whiny Malibu Barbie voice.)

9. TheDragonGirl

10. jules92207

11. Janzo

12. nframe

13. SunWolf (Woo hoo! Lucky number 13!! Now to figure out what to do. )

14. Commoncenz

15. rainycityjen

16. CaraBou

17. tbeck3579

18. Soapswirl

19. KristaY

20. GalaxyMLP

21. dibbles

22. TVivian

23. snappyllama

That's really pretty, such a shame you had to blend over it! What did u us for the circles?

Oh, no DG! But it looks like you did really well with the technique, I will be extremely happy if my first one goes so well. Also, you twisted a perfect circle, darn it. Jealous.

I actually used the rim of a canning jar!

I was pretty pleased before it had its little melt down, teach me to try to cheat and cut the wait time with accelerants

Teresa, those are great! I can't imagine being deft enough to get paper clips bent into such perfect shapes ...

It's a good thing I can buy shaped paperclips for a couple dollars. I know I wouldn't have the patience -- after a few minutes I would decide the paperclip was "modern art" -- my term for bend it, break it, and give it a name that sounds better than "manufacturing defect". I have some napkin rings similar to the shaped paperclips. I'll try those first. I had one of the fancy paperclips... somewhere... :???:

I tried something very similar to that sonya and it was too thin. It didn't hold its shape enough and was too thin to make a very nice imprint. I can't tell how thick that is from the photo but I'm guessing it's pretty much the same product. I'll see if I can find mine and put a picture of it up. That's why I went for the florists wire.

We wanted to make the challenges much more of a community shared learning experience where people could feel comfortable discussing their attempts and asking for help. With other challenges it really is a solitary process and with nothing but the tutorial video to help, it can be very hard to get a good result or master the technique without a bit of extra help.

We want everyone to master the technique and come out feeling proud of what they have achieved. Also realistically people only have time and resources to make a certain number of batches so if people are willing to post things that fail then everyone else won't have to waste their time trying it too. Effectively then we should end up with a better range of final entries!

Last edited:
I was searching for ideas and found a few. The criss-cross idea was in my head -- maybe I saw it before because the pics show it how I pictured it. I really like the soft colors. I'm usually not a fan of swirls but this... Seeing all the pretty swirls on SMF has made me a convert :-D
wire.jpg

wet-reverse1.jpg

ginger-patchouli-26.jpg

This one sounds like fun! Count me in :)

1. Lionprincess

2. Sonya-m

3. PinkCupcake

4. Dillsandwich

5. Vkumudini

6. Balloons

7. KCHaystack

8. not_ally (argh, 10 batches of inverted stamping tries in my future. This looks hard (imagine whiny Malibu Barbie voice.)

9. TheDragonGirl

10. jules92207

11. Janzo

12. nframe

14. Commoncenz

15. rainycityjen

16. CaraBou

17. tbeck3579

18. Soapswirl

19. KristaY

20. GalaxyMLP

21. dibbles

22. TVivian

23. snappyllama

24. Luv2Soap

I did the cross cross on some beer soap scented with Clove and stuck whole cloves into the gaps. I really like the effect it gives.

Thanks everyone for the replies regarding wire. I think I'm going to scratch the ones I've already bent since I have no idea what they're made out of, and go with Saponista's advice on floral wire. Even if I dip or paint with clear nail polish, I'd worry I missed a spot. I'm not totally bummed about it either since my first ones aren't the prettiest things I've ever made, lol. I'm considering it practice attempts!

Me too! I'm going to go home and play tonight.

1. Lionprincess

2. Sonya-m

3. PinkCupcake

4. Dillsandwich

5. Vkumudini

6. Balloons

7. KCHaystack

9. TheDragonGirl

10. jules92207

11. Janzo

12. nframe

14. Commoncenz

15. rainycityjen

16. CaraBou

17. tbeck3579

18. Soapswirl

19. KristaY

20. GalaxyMLP

21. dibbles

22. TVivian

23. snappyllama

24. Luv2Soap

25. Mrs Spaceship (Who's tickled all sorts of colors to be able to participate!)

1. Lionprincess

2. Sonya-m

3. PinkCupcake

4. Dillsandwich

5. Vkumudini

6. Balloons

7. KCHaystack

9. TheDragonGirl

10. jules92207

11. Janzo

12. nframe

14. Commoncenz

15. rainycityjen

16. CaraBou

17. tbeck3579

18. Soapswirl

19. KristaY

20. GalaxyMLP

21. dibbles

22. TVivian

23. snappyllama

24. Luv2Soap

25. Mrs Spaceship (Who's tickled all sorts of colors to be able to participate!)

26. TeresaT (maybe I won't soap in the dark this month!)

I can't join in, just can't commit to anything at the moment but I was thinking that plastic cookie cutters would work great for this, or stainless steel ones if you have them. Just an option for all of you!

Good luck guys.

Ahh this remind me of who I think The real Soap Queen is Auntie Clara :)
LOVE THIS WOMEN :)

Welcome to August's SMF Soap Challenge. This month we will be tackling the inverted stamping technique. The idea is to dip a tool or object into the batter when it is at a fairly thick trace. When the tool is removed, a raised imprint of the shape is left behind on the surface of the soap.
Here is my video tutorial

https://youtu.be/PpgoRwr4bV8

SMF Challenge General Rules
· To enter you must have a minimum of 50 posts and been a member for a month (sorry but no exceptions on this)
· Please add your name to the sign up list if you wish to participate (however, you don’t have to enter a soap at the end if you don’t feel happy with what you have produced)
· The challenge thread should be used to upload pictures of any of your challenge attempts where you can ask for advice and discuss the technique with other members.
· Constructive criticism is welcomed, but please try to keep your comments polite.
· Competition entries must be uploaded to the separate entry thread before the closing date. The thread will open on 18/08/15 (Please follow the challenge specific rules as to what you need to enter)
· After the closing date 25/08/15 the winning entry will be chosen using survey monkey and the winner announced at the end of the month. There is no prize attached to this challenge.
· If you fail to make the challenge deadline, you are still welcome to upload your soap onto the thread, but your entry will not be eligible for voting. We still love to see anything you have produced.
· Even though there is no prize, this is still a competition. If your entry is deemed not to fulfil the general rules or the rules specific to the challenge in any way, then you will be given the opportunity to amend your entry. If this is not possible then your entry will not be included in the voting.
· Newbie, Saponista, Lionproncess00, Sonya-m and GalaxyMLP reserve the right to have the final say on whether a soap is eligible for voting.

Challenge Specific Rules
· You can use either a log mould or a slab
· You may fill the mould in any way you wish
· Your entry must have a design created using trace thickness and an object or tool dipped into the batter to form a raised pattern on the top of your soap surface.
· In the interests of creativity, you may use any item you wish to form the design in the top of your soap. It does not have to be a wire shape as demonstrated in the video, but wire shapes are perfectly acceptable also.
· You may add decoration to the top of your soap eg. glitter or mica, but the raised pattern must still be visible for the entry to count.
· To enter you must submit a photo or video showing your final design with the raised pattern clearly visible and also an image of the tool you used to create the pattern. The soap can be in the mould or cut into bars, as long as you can see the design then that is fine.

Back