My new (and embarrassing) obsession...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stacyspy

Reaction score
I have become obsessed with matching colors with their scent...to the point where I'm unable to make a batch of soap, for fear of it not looking like it smells...lol...
This is bad on two levels. One, I need to get more done to replenish stock. Two, I've never been like this before. It's really kind of embarrassing because I've become consumed by it... :crazy:

I don't think that is a bad obsession at all, I know I am really careful about doing that. IMO, it is one of the most important elements of a beautiful, harmonized soap which pleases all the senses. OK, can't believe I just typed that, I need some kind of intervention. Anyway, rock on with your soapy obsessed self, Stacy!

Stacy I am very similar in that respect. I get so mad when some of my colors morph too and then I feel like I need to toss the batch or rebatch it even if it turned out just fine other than color not matching scent.

DH has started naming all my bars of soap for me which has kind of helped..he comes up with such creative names that it makes me feel a little bit better when my colors are "off"

Dahila, yes. That was my first symptom, it was normal for me. But a friend pointed out that I wash my hands waaaaaaaay too much. They were always cracked and bleeding. (I just thought I had dry skin.) Then I noticed things myself, all of my food has to be even numbers. I can't have one slice of pizza, it has to be two. Or four. I can't have one piece of cake. You get the picture. I have so many little oddities that I can't even name them all. Oh, my gosh! Writing it down is so weird!! I'm a freak.... LOL

Not_Ally, it's OK. You can laugh at me. I laugh at myself all the time. And the guys I work with think I'm hilarious (when I'm not being overly nuts). I was taking some medicine for it for a while, but my ADHD really kicked in (uncontrollably) and I had to stop. I take Prozac and it calms the worst of it down. I'm very lucky, though. Mine is nothing compared to some. It's not debilitating at all; just super annoying because I do stuff for no reason. And things have to be "just so" for no reason. It's pretty bad when you manage to irritate yourself! LOL

I don't think I'm full-blown OCD... I have "quirks" as DH calls them.
TV and radio have to be a 5 in volume... 15, 20, 25...nothing in between.
In my kitchen, and only in my kitchen, things have to be exactly where they belong. Other rooms, not really.
My Kindle and my phone have to be on my chair-side table, lined up on top of each other and square to the table.
Hopefully, it doesn't get worse. I feel for those of you who have it bad... it must make for a complicated day.

Most of us has obsession in one thing, I am not in colour or swirl but I am obsessed on exotic oil and butters and scent. I am not contented on olive oil, castor and coconut. I need to have exotic superfat. I spend a lot on moringa, kiwi and etc. And isn't cheap

UH-OH! Heh heh heh ... Just realized that my soaps all tend to have a color theme that I have tried to match to the scent. Except possibly the one I did tonight ... It's a Chai Tea/Apple and White Tea/Ginger blend .. I used neon yellow, neon green and neon orange in an *attempted* spoon swirl ... As I was picking the colors though I was thinking "I'll call this one 'The Tao of Tea'".

Anyway, if you had not started this thread, I wouldn't have realized that this type of behavior was anywhere near *not normal* and would have continued happily soaping and trying to match colors to scents. lol

Been there, done that. It's nice when your apple scented soap isn't dark purple. People kind of raise a brow and wonder what you're up to.

I can't say I mis-match too many, except by mistake.

I don't think I'm full-blown OCD... I have "quirks" as DH calls them.
TV and radio have to be a 5 in volume... 15, 20, 25...nothing in between.

Ahh!! I totally do this!! It's really bad though, because my husband's "quirk" is to have it on an even number.. Can you imagine the remote control battles that occur at my house?? Lol

I also thought it was totally normal to match scents to colors though. I do get a little miffed when colors morph or don't quite come out as bright/dark/vibrant/whatever that I had pictured in my head.. My family is fed up with me shoving a FO bottle under their noses and asking "What color does this smell like?" Lol

Last edited:
My family is fed up with me shoving a FO bottle under their noses and asking "What color does this smell like?" Lol

Hahaha Iso totally do this too. At first I was getting some pretty strange looks and a bit of cooperation but now its more if they see me coming with a bottle of FO they are "I dont know what colour that smells like. Go away!" Hahaha

Cenz, I love the name, but fear I would keep pronouncing it the "Dao of Dea" automatically. And then that would drive me crazy, b/c you know, I am a bit OCD :)

In further evidence of this, I actually *wrote* to NG recently b/c it really irritates me that they have an FO which is called "Tibetian Amber". My sad, OCD email made it clear that I really like NG, I do, I think they have good products, CS, mailing, the whole shebang. But there is no such thing as "Tibetian"! It is like calling something "Amurican" as a joke, which does not work unless you are consciously trying to be ironic, I don't think they were trying to do that. It just looks like a mis-spelling. And even then, hard to know how someone could pull it off.

Surprisingly, NG has not taken my extremely wise and well-thought out advice :)

Last edited:
We have a gal here in our forum that does fantastic work, and I am betting she matches her fragrances to her colors and creations. Even if her color comes out a tad lighter or darker than she envisions she will scrap the soap. All her work pays off in her finished pieces, that I recently had the pleasure of viewing. Sorry for vagueness but she and I have an agreement, so no names mentioned or pics.

Back