What soapy mistake have you made today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had a week!!!! I left my coconut oil and shea butter out of a 5 pound batch of soap (it was in the crock pot melting and I completely forgot about it) did notice until the next day when I was getting ready to make another batch and went to melt more. But that time everything had been cut and was on the curing rack. Unfortunately I split this batch up and couldn't just rebatch it to add the missing oils. *Head desk*

Today... oh today... I went to put my lye water in the freezer like I do sometimes and forgot I had just put my camera on top of the freezer. I opened the door and the camera fell down into the bucket I was holding and I dropped the bucket. Lye water everywhere. I am okay, my hands are sore because I was frantically trying to clean it up.

Hope this makes you feel better :crazy:

I need this thread today. I made moonlight pomegranate cupcakes yesterday that were a cream base and maroon frosting and they accelerated majorly so the piping looked like dog poo. That was yesterday.

So today, I chopped them all up and melted it all down for a rebatch. And molded it. And cut it.
It looks LITERALLY EXACTLY like salami. In every way possible. :crazy:

I am constantly making mistakes. Yesterday was the triple axel of the mold onto the countertop trick, that was a good one. Usually don't forget the oils/FO's because I have so many times before that I lay them out and check them off on paper in the same way every single time. But anything else (colors/additives) is fair game.

Today's involve stamping, I got my beautiful Omar stamps and lots of mistakes in getting it right, stamping is not as straightforward as *^^ Seven makes it seem :) I have the planer on standby to skim off layers and try again.

Wolf, I am glad to hear that you are OK too. Scary. I hope the camera survived as well. Mine keeps getting smudged w/batter, am pretty sure that cannot go on forever.

Mommy, there is probably a *very* good market for your salami soap :) I bet there is someone out there happily raking in the cash from naughty soapgoods ...

Last edited:
I need this thread today. I made moonlight pomegranate cupcakes yesterday that were a cream base and maroon frosting and they accelerated majorly so the piping looked like dog poo. That was yesterday.

So today, I chopped them all up and melted it all down for a rebatch. And molded it. And cut it.
It looks LITERALLY EXACTLY like salami. In every way possible. :crazy:

Hey! Now you can invent the "hoagie" soap!!

Thanks for starting this thread, lionprincess! It's nice to know that I'm not the only one having those forehead slapping moments. Mine was a couple of days ago when I have a really cool idea for a layered lavender lemongrass soap. I couldn't decide if I wanted to use lavender ultramarine or alkanet root for the purple color, so at the last moment I chose manganese violet. Huge mistake - I never seem to use enough of it to get anything more than a wan, greyish color out of it. It ruined an otherwise nice batch. The worst part is that I swear I've made this mistake with the manganese violet THREE TIMES now! Ugh! Hopefully I'll learn this time.

Man I can't tell ya how I needed to read this thread tonight LOL.

So I decided to do my second ever batch of soap. I've been trying to make it for days but life kept getting in the way, so tonight was my first chance. Plus my friend was here and eager to see how it works.

Big mistake having an audience cuz it distracted me and I made mistake after mistake... ugh!

First, I'm setting up and I've got my recipe written down etc, all my tools assembled, and I go to make the lye water. I realize as I'm mixing it that I've forgotten about my goggles so I stop and grab them, go to put them on, and they slip out of my hand and fall right into the friggin lye water. I fish em out and drop them in the cold water bath my lye pitcher is sitting in cuz I'm obviously not going to be putting them on after that :/

Next I put it in the fridge to continue to cool while I melt oils. I go to grab the pitcher from the fridge and almost knock it out of my hand as the fridge door hits my arm on its back swing to close. Scares the living begeebers outta me cuz I'm still nervous about the lye part of soaping and I'm standing frozen in place as I stand there saying ten million thank yous to the soap gods for not dropping it or splashing I it all over the kitchen and myself lol

Then after I add my lye to the oils and pulse the SB a few times, I toss in my FO , pulse some more, and put the SB in the now empty lye pitcher to sit while I separate portions of the soap batter into cups to be colored with the natural colorants I made. I reach for another measuring cup and my elbow knocks the SB and the lye pitcher over, **** near taking the pitcher of remaining soap batter with it.

I'm standing there swearing at it and checking to be sure that no residual lye water got on the carpet or me, and I turn back to disconnect the blade segment of my SB so it's not so top heavy and won't fall over again and I drop the soap covered blade portion on the carpet.

About this point I'm doing a crazy combo of laughing at the stupidity of the whole thing, swearing in frustration, and beginning to feel discouraged.

So I take a calming breath and I soldier on and I add my color to my cups then go to stir them up only to realize they are all thickening up very quickly - grrrr! - and whatever plan I had to do a very very simple pattern is so not gonna happen now - double grrr!! - I keep on going though, and plop the stuff on as best I can considering the thickness and hope for the best. I look at it and think **** that is gonna be some butt ugly soap but I guess it will have to do LOL. I figure, screw it, I'll put it up and see how the ploppy looking stripes come out when it's set up.

But as go to pick up the mold, it slips in my hand, and there is a moment of comical juggling as I contort like a noodle to prevent the mold from hitting the floor or flipping. I manage to get it securely only to realize in my attempt to save the mold I have buried three gloved fingers of one hand smack dab in the middle.

Cue lots - LOTS - more swearing as I plop the mold on the table and stare at it with my hands on my hips growling.

It is at this point that my friend, who has been very quiet throughout this process so far, erupts in laughter, pointing at my face, and says "holy cow, G, I wish I had video taped that whole thing, and girl you have serious ninja catching skills!"

I lost it and **** near peed my pants laughing, which was good, cuz it made me less likely to take the mold full of butt ugly, hand printed, deeply gouged soap, and launch it at high speed out the door. LOL

So...in the end I stuck a plastic spoon in it, did some wackado scoopy type moves and said !-@$ it, it is what it is, I'm not meant to soap tonight it appears. Then I tossed all the sloppy gear into a box, shoved it in the closet to be wiped down when it's dried up, lit a smoke and looked for the last of the wine hahahaha.

I am not defeated, I will conquer the soap dammit LOL. I just wish I knew what made it thicken up so stinking quick. The FO specifically said it didn't discolor or accelerate. Oh well, live and learn. Will try again tomorrow night if I can figure out what to do to keep it thin enough for longer, to allow me time to play with a simple pattern.

Oh yes, the soap gremlins just lurk for when you are least expecting them. Sometimes you just have to acknowledge their evil power, recognize that there will be many next times, and hope that serendipity will kick in (we should have a term for soap angels, those sometimes preside when you are doing everything *wrong* and things still work out!)

Oh yes, the soap gremlins just lurk for when you are least expecting them. Sometimes you just have to acknowledge their evil power, recognize that there will be many next times, and hope that serendipity will kick in (we should have a term for soap angels, those sometimes preside when you are doing everything *wrong* and things still work out!)

Well heck I sure do know they exist geez... they were all over my soaping tonight, wreaking havoc like crazy LOL. And I hope some soap angels find their way here for tomorrow night, cuz I could really use a success after tonight's sitcom style failures LOL.

"Contort like a noodle"..I almost lost my Dr. Pepper on that one hahaha!

Welcome to the wonderful world of soaping! :lol:

Oh my goodness this is going on my blog soon. I am trying to make a soap. One with loofah sponge cut into 1 inch pieces laid out in the log mold. I have done this with melt and pour and love it but wanted to do it in cold process.
I used the fragrance oil Monkey business I think it is also called Monkey farts. I made 2 different colors. a pale yellow and pale pink. I know they will darken up because of the color but figured I would see what happened. Well what happened is rapid acceleration. I put down the first layer and put the loofahs in the mold. I should have stopped there. I thought oh I can still pull this off.

Then what I had was a loaf mold with soap batter on top and bottom of sponge. I cut it then thought maybe I can still save it the next day so I made even more soap and colored it pink with no scent. I tried to pour it thin to fill in the holes while it was laying down. Nope batter everywhere, Thickened it up some and filled in and covered up one side of the whole soap with pink and tried frosting it like a cake. Well the top and bottom now look like a frosted pound cake and I am ok with that but the middle is still messed up and the back side looks horrible. Now I have 15 lb bars of soap that are awful and stuck to loofah sponges. I do not think I can even give them to family. I am going to be stuck with this crazy soap for the next year. I will post pics in the ugly soap thread in the next few days when I get up the guts to do it LOL. My soap cred will be ruined :thumbdown:

On Sunday I was finishing up the last of a cupcake soap order and was soooo happy to be done with it as I was sick of making cupcake soap. Then when I was cleaning up, I realized that I'd forgotten to add the fragrance.... Sigh

Gigi, I'm sorry but I laughed all the way through your post! You sure have a way with words, I had no problem seeing that whole thing play out in my head. Hopefully the gremlins feel like they gave you a hard enough time and leave you be for a while.

I love this thread. I luckily haven't had any mishaps recently but not so long ago I made two batches of unsalty salt bars because I forgot the salt two days in a row! I also managed to knock over a bowl of soap that I had just brought to emulsion, I was frantically cleaning, I was certain that it was going to eat through the floor. Klutz.

Jstar - I will consider myself thoroughly initiated lol

Artisan - I feel ya LOL I'm gonna be stuck with this butt ugly soap too... it's too **** ugly to give away, so it will become kitchen sink soap so it doesn't get wasted lol

Dneruck n dribbles.... I'm dreading those mistakes, cuz I just know I will make similar down the line

LCW - unsalted salt bars ....hahahaha... and believe me I feel ya on spilling emulsion... when I dropped the heavily coated bottom of the SB on the floor, all I could think was "oh ship! I'll never get my deposit back if I kill the carpet with lye!" LOL

This didn't happen today, but I want to post it as gremlin's bane!

First time making HP... all finishing and sitting in the mold. I was super impressed with myself over how smooth I kept it and imagining what the pale yellow would look like with the hot pink ribbon I managed to swirl inside. As I started to cleanup, I noticed my superfat still sitting in it's container. Sigh. I slopped out my pretty design, stirred in my SF and got it back into the mold. This is what it looked like when I unmolded it... raw meatloaf!

IMG_0105_zps956d96d1.jpg

The funny thing is that I actually LOVE how this soap feels and smells. If only it wasn't so ugly...

Latest posts

Back