Tell me about Salt bars...why great?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aprice522

Reaction score
So, I have read a lot on here. Love this place. I have made 3 successful batches of random soap--I am hooked and love the experimentation.

I have seen lots who love salt bars but want to know why. What makes a salt bar special?

I have seen lots talk about 100%, 80%, 50% and even just a teaspoon at trace.
What will happen at these different percentages?

I am just trying to finish up my wish list/ordering that I am going to do online and want to get a little of everything I want to try since don't want to order several times, (especially since I am purchasing KOH for shaving soap and the shipping is steep)

Look forward to hearing from you all!

The main thing is the lather, thick creamy lather that leaves you feeling refreshingly clean and soft. Salt bars have also been know to help some skin conditions like acne.
a teaspoon or two will help harden your soap but not much more. Its when you start adding 25% + that you get the amazing lather. The more salt you use, the hard the bar will be.
I prefer 35%-50% salt, much more and the bars are too hard for my liking. I would suggest 50% for a first time salt bar maker and use individual cavity molds if you have them. Salt bars are very tricky to cut, if your timing is just a little off your bars will crumble and break apart.
Make sure to use a lot of coconut or your soap won't lather. I like 80% coconut, 20% olive but you can use any oil you want along with the high coconut. Set the SF at 20% and use scent that behaves, salt can make your batter accelerate, you don't want the FO to speed it up any more.

Yes I love them and enjoy making them also but only in trays with my cut outs, so I don't have to cut and can wait until hours later to take them out. I do similar to Obsidian with around 80% CO but sometimes lower (70%) if I am using a butter also. And I like to use part dendritic salt with my sea salt.

Washing with a salt bar is like dancing in the ocean waves while bruddah I'z sings to you
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_DKWlrA24k[/ame]

I always have a batch of salt bars ready, I love them so. I use 80% CO (5% castor and 15% OO or Almond) and 80 % of oil weight in salt. I keep meaning to try other percentages, but I keep doing this one because its just so good. I dont bother decreasing my recipe to fit the loaf mold, and just pour the extra into cavity molds. I like the look of a cut salt bar, even if they are a pain to catch in time.

I love salt bars. They are so unique and they feel so lovely to use. Seawolfe's description above and accompanying video explain it all for me in a nutshell.

I make mine with 100% coconut oil, 100% coconut milk as my liquid, 25% sea salt as per my oil amount, and I superfat it @ 13%. I also like to scent it with an ocean-type scent (Salty Sailor from Daystar is my favorite).

IrishLass :)

I love salt bars. They are so unique and they feel so lovely to use. Seawolfe's description above and accompanying video explain it all for me in a nutshell.

I make mine with 100% coconut oil, 100% coconut milk as my liquid, 25% sea salt as per my oil amount, and I superfat it @ 13%. I also like to scent it with an ocean-type scent (Salty Sailor from Daystar is my favorite).

IrishLass :)

Woot woot! Shout out to Salty Sailor! :p That's also my favorite FO for salt bars. Has anyone ever tried using lard or tallow in salt bars? I might try that and see how that feels.

Now...what kind of salt

After I book my next vacation to THAT place!!....I will order my salt.

So, my next question is---Salt. What kind of salt? Do I have to buy special salt? Dead sea, pink Himalayan, or can I buy local off the grocery shelf salt to test out?

I saw someone post about salt w/o iodine in one of the past threads I read and wondered why?? I did notice the soap calc had that section in the numbers below the conditioning and such. I didn't understand those last two on those numbers.

You can use plain sea salt (not dead sea) or regular non iodized table salt. I generally use canning and pickling salt, its really cheap for a large box. Sometime I can find 1lb containers of pacific sea salt at the dollar store.

If I understand it right, too much iodine can help contribute to DOS. I have used iodized table salt in the past with no issues but only because I had ran out of my regular salt.

Whatever you use, make sure its fine ground, I sliced my chest open once with a medium grind salt. Pink Himalayan salt is scratchier, even the fine stuff. Its really pretty but I don't like it in soap.

My first attempt at a salt bar was 100% CO w/ 20% SF and the salt at 100% of the oils. It was pretty awesome, though some areas were a little scratchy since I used coarser grains on the top to decorate... The salt definitely made for a thick batter when pouring but the outcome was awesome. I also used individual cavity molds since I sometimes get distracted while waiting for soap to set and didn't want to be too late in cutting it.

I LOVE making salt bars as well...They are actually one of my best-sellers. I use 100% to my oil blend. It can be VERY TRICKY to cut, as posted before, but I like living on the edge! My salt bars have been a precursor to many sales, and ALMOST with every order that I get, they include a salt bar. The last order I got included 4 bars. I have a salt bar in my shower that I use for shaving. The creamy lather is perfect, and the salt is great for exfoliation, especially for the Summer and beach visits! I've wanted to use the Himalayan Pink Salt, but its edges are very scratchy and sharp, however, I wonder if soaking that salt in warm water and swirling it for a few minutes to soften and smooth the edges just prior to incorporation would work?

Look for canning or pickling salt where you would find canning jars, lids, pectin, and other canning supplies OR on the shelves where spices and herbs are found. I've found it in most groceries and hardware stores around here -- it's usually on a lower shelf.

AFAIK, this salt is exactly the same as table salt except it doesn't have any additives like iodine or that stuff that prevents caking. It's just plain ol' salt.

Last edited:
I use French Grey Salt Fine. I dont use to much of it though...10%. My oils are CO @36%, OO 30%, Castor @12%, Soy @ 10 and Almond/grapeseed both @6%.

At first I was using 50% salt. My bars crumbled, not only that, they were scratchy. Since I wash my face with my salt bar, I didn't like the idea of leaving microscopic scratches on my face, so I decided to use only 10%.... and I do SF but only like 3%.

I feel that the minerals are already in the salt, because of the way salt is processed, the idea is that the sea sponges are the oceans aqua filters, and as they eliminate waste through their aqua tubes....that waste turns to a chemical that scientists are trying to recreate for some patients who have arthritis. I figure I get that benefit in the 10% sea salt. My bars leather great and dont crumble. Sea salt is for good for the body and skin.

Last edited:
Back