Thanks Soap Gremlins!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpstephy85

Reaction score
So, this is a first. Made this coffee soap on Monday and by yesterday had a slimy liquid on top 24 hours later. Put some liquid on the tip of my finger and zap tested it, no zap (good sign). Figured I would let it sit another day to absorb the liquid. This morning still had the slimy liquid on top, so laid a paper towel on top to get the excess. Came home, still slimy but the loaf didn't feel overly soft and came away from the mold easily. The bottom was dry and the sides had a little liquid on them.

Here's the fun part. Decide to cut the loaf and when I did was wasn't super surprised at what I found. I was brave and zap tested these, especially the one with the white ooze and no zap. I had a couple of bars that dripped liquid when I held them up to look over them. For sure a rebatch!!

Here is the recipe, and based off what I know my guess is going to be this overheated. Your thoughts?

4.6oz Castor
25oz olive oil
16.8oz palm oil
13.6oz PKO

23oz brewed coffee in place of water
8.3oz NaOH
2 tbsp. honey
1 tsp. TD
coffee grounds from the brew
1/4 cup cinnamon
1.5oz anise EO
.5oz Peak Cappuccino Hazelnut FO
.3oz cedarwood EO
.3oz clove bud EO

This was being formulated to be a kitchen soap.

1432777429792.jpg

1432777441423.jpg

1432777460928.jpg

1432777474450.jpg

1432777483932.jpg

I made a batch of pine tar soap a couple of weeks ago that is the twin of your coffee batch. It overheated and left holes just like that. Same slick type of liquid build up on the top and everything except for the white liquid in the hole in the last picture.

I have never used powdered cinnamon. Does it contribute to heating? Spice FOs and EOs do, but does the spice itself? It does look like overheating. Sigh. It looks like it would have been lovely; I love the deep rich brown you got.

I knew I was playing with fire when using honey, clove bud EO AND cinnamon. Oh well, the color will still be the same when I rebatch so at least it wasn't a pretty design being ruined.

Your guess is as good as mine, Teresa. It didn't zap. None of the liquid did, nor did it have much of a taste.

Latest posts

Back