what else can I make with my soap making stash?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happyshopper

Reaction score
I have the following oils/butters I purchased for soap making

olive
almond
castor
coconut
lard
avocado (small amount -its expensive!)
shea butter
cocoa butter

small amount EO and FO

I also have baking soda/citric acid/cornflour for bath bombs.

I like making soap but am struggling to get time to do it as I have to wait until my son is out of the house. I want to make products not involving lye as I can do that whilst he is here. I did make some lotion bars but any other suggestions what I can make with the above? I don't really want to spend much more money but if there is one ingredient I am missing to enable me to make further bath/body products I will get it.

Thanks

You may have come across these before but reading through swiftcraftymonkeyblog.com and makingskincare.com (go right to the bottom of the page to see recipes), will give you a really good basis for making skincare products. You will also get loads of recipe ideas.

It's just as addictive as soapmaking (well almost). What you make is so much better than what you can buy!

yes I seen swiftcraftymonkey however all the great ideas on there seemed to involve buying alot more ingredients most of which are not easily available here. I haven't come across makingskincare I will check that out.

Do you have bees wax? I make a solid lotion that many people like - it is simply 1/4 each shea, cocoa butter, almond oil and bees wax. I infuse calendula in the almond oil, but it is not necessary. Melt together in double boiler, pour into molds.

If any of your essential oils are food grade, you can make lip balm too. Almond or olive oil, coconut oil, cocoa butter and bees wax work great for me. You'll need the lip balm tubes or some type of container to hold the balm.

You can make a salt scrub. Get some salt (I can often find 1 lb of sea salt for $1 at the Dollar Tree), mix it with some oils and some scent. Get a recipe online for good proportions.

Just saw this thread ... have you tried making a whipped body butter yet? You need 75% solid oils and 25% liquid. I tried coconut oil, shea butter, and cocoa butter as the hard ones and found I liked the shea butter the best. The coconut oil is drying and greasy to me, and the cocoa butter dried out and hardened too much after whipping. Any of your oils will work nicely for the liquid portion.

1. melt the solid oils, remove from heat and let cool for 30 minutes
2. pour into mixing container (I use a stand mixer for this) and stir in your liquid oils and any essential oils
3. place in freezer for 20 to 30 minutes until it is mostly solid
4. whip until a butter like consistency is achieved, make sure to scrape the sides of the bowl. You will notice the color change as it warms up and whips

Latest posts

Back