Spotty soap-- Please tells me it's nothing

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayJay

Reaction score
I just took this batch out of the mold. These spots appeared after gelling. Please tell me it's noting but cosmetic. This was my first attempt at using color. This was also my second attempt at using FO.

I was in a hurry and didn't go online to look up the directions. I just plopped a tiny scoop of powder into my batter and blended with my SB. I repeated until it got dark enough. Then I tried adding some bronze shimmer with the same method , but did that only once. I actually think that the spots look cool, so I will be happy to use them if they are safe.

I know I should probably never soap in a hurry but it was either soap right then or wait two or three weeks for my next chance.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty color, if the power you mentioned is mica or oxide that is my guess for the spots. Some micas can be added without mixing first, but I always mix in a small amount of distilled water or oil. Oxides are a little more difficult to blend in, but your spots look more like mica, and I like them too.

No zap, right? I think it is just dots of colorant that did not get properly mixed in. If it was too much FO it would probably be oozing. I always mix pre-mix colorants with a little frother to avoid this, except micas, but I have a slow tracing mix so plenty of time to SB them in. Re pre-mixing, my mnemonic is O (oil) for oxides, water for (ultra marines), glycerin if in doubt - it pretty much works for all but is more of a pain to mix. You only need a bit of each.

I think it looks pretty, too.

Last edited:
I've never seen that many spots of DOS on soap, so I would guess it's undissolved color. You didn't mention what kind of "powder" your color is, but because micas tend to disperse pretty easily, I'd guess oxide. Oxide colors won't disperse by just plopping in your soap batter. Mix the amount of oxide you'll be using with a small amount of your oils, and stir til smooth, (this takes a bit of time, but it's worth it) then add to your batter.

I dont see how DOS could show up that fast, so I would guess the color too. If you run a wet finger or washcloth over a spot does it get some color?

This just happened to me! I freaked out b/c I though maybe I didn't mix my cool well enough or my fragrance. I'm not exactly sure why it happened. I think it was actually bits of fragrance that were not probably mixed in well. After a few days, the spots were mostly gone. I'm thinking after a full cure they will be completely gone. Check back in a few days. If its color, it won't go away. If its fragrance, it will slowly (probably) be reabsorbed/dispersed over time.

Also, its hard to tell. I would say if its color, it won't have faded edges. But yours looks JUST like mine did where the edges of the spots are fading into the rest of the soap. Do you mind sharing your FO/color combo?

You can see pictures of my soap below. It has faded a lot and only a few spots (as you can see) are left. I made this soap on Monday morning.

The black dots are poppy seeds. This is a "Guava Mango" scented soap.

uploadfromtaptalk1430071467414.jpguploadfromtaptalk1430071477405.jpg

Thanks for the help everyone!

The bronze was mica and I think that the main color was called an "oil-soluble powder" for cold process soap. It was on clearance and I cannot find it in the website anymore. The color was supposed to be a burnt orange and the name of it was amberwood.

It will be interesting to see if the spots disappear to confirm the FO hypothesis. The FO that is used is Kentish Rain.

Kentish Rain from BB? That is meant to be a v. fast accelerator (like all water scents, aargh). You maybe did not have enough time to get everything mixed in? I like it, but don't use it in CP b/c I like having lots of time b/w the mix and the pour.

ETA: when I have not properly blended colors, the spots usually do not disappear. The soaps are still Ok, though you just might have a bit more colored soapy lather when you hit them in the bath.

Last edited:
JayJay, did you get that from Elements? I just sort of had a flashback on the name, they were out of it by the time I ordered b/c of the discounted price but got the same oxide in the apricot color. It is a really great colorant but *must* be pre-mixed b/c so strong and hard to disperse, and you only need a teeny bit of it, if it is the same thing.

I just keep out a TB or so of the oils before mixing the oils and lye and then add the colorant to that if I am dividing colors for swirling. If not - ie - making a single color batch - I still mix it into a little bit of oil first and then mix that into the rest of the oil mix. It seems to be easier to blend that way, but that might just be me.

It would most definitely have spotted if I hadn't pre-mixed it, but I would not be afraid of using the finished soaps, even with spots.

JayJay, did you get that from Elements? I just sort of had a flashback on the name, they were out of it by the time I ordered b/c of the discounted price but got the same oxide in the apricot color. It is a really great colorant but *must* be pre-mixed b/c so strong and hard to disperse, and you only need a teeny bit of it, if it is the same thing.

I just keep out a TB or so of the oils before mixing the oils and lye and then add the colorant to that if I am dividing colors for swirling. If not - ie - making a single color batch - I still mix it into a little bit of oil first and then mix that into the rest of the oil mix. It seems to be easier to blend that way, but that might just be me.

It would most definitely have spotted if I hadn't pre-mixed it, but I would not be afraid of using the finished soaps, even with spots.

Hey Not Ally,

I'm just seeing this post (sorry for the delay). Yes I got the color from Elements. I remember the description saying that I only needed a small amount. And the scoop they included is the tiniest thing I have ever seen :) Too bad I didn't remember the part about mixing into the oil first.:roll: If I had not have been in such a hurry, I could have looked it up.

Thanks for the help!

Latest posts

Back