Cosmetic grade vs regular oils from Soapers Choice

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think there was a thread on SMF regarding the cosmetic grade at some point. I think Carolyn was contacting them back then and was told it was a blend. I've stayed away from the cosmetic oils since. Rather be safe than sorry.

I'm glad Carilyn asked, I have head some suppliers that buy the food grade in bulk have to label it cosmetic when they repackage because you need certain sanitary conditions to meet food grade regulations. I figured that was the case with SC.

I also shop from SC they are fantastic. Shipping prices are excellent. actually im placing an order tomorrow. They also have Argan oil in stock Now !

I'm glad Carilyn asked, I have head some suppliers that buy the food grade in bulk have to label it cosmetic when they repackage because you need certain sanitary conditions to meet food grade regulations. I figured that was the case with SC.

SC is a division of Columbus Foods. They are a very big time supplier of cooking oils to restaurants in the Chicago area. Since that is their main business, they don't have an issue with food grade regulations. They probably have cosmetic grade just for the Soaper's Choice part of their business, since that grade of oil is cheaper.

They have both food grade and cosmetic grade avocado oil. almond oil, and apricot seed oil. Almost everything else is food grade (if it can be used for food.)

Back