Fragrances you just cannot stand..whats yours?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jstar

Reaction score
Mine would have to be patch....my mother ordered some of it and insisted I make some soap with it...once I did, its 'everywhere'..I can smell it all over the house...Idk what it is about it, but I just cannot handle it.

Anyone else have a FO/EO they just cannot stand to be around? :lol:

For me, its anything with the cheap flowery smell. I can't stand it. I don't exactly know what its called but its that overpowering flowery smell. Patchouli is ok for me but I don't LOVEEE it.

Any FO that's too floral, like rose, honeysuckle, etc. Last one that's put me off was honeysuckle from NG.
Pretty much most of the men's FOs - I don't even know what bothers me in them, but most of them smell like cheap men's perfume. Binned few batches made with Bay rum, etc. Just couldn't stand it or couldn't stand husband smelling like it haha.
Lavender - smells like toilet spray to me
BB Energy -makes me nauseous, it's just yuck. Binned a whole batch made with this FO, family liked it, but I just couldn't have it around. Strangely, Kumquat is similar as it's also fruity FO but I adore it, it's one of my faves.
Any FO with predominantly melon, cucumber or watermelon in it, can't stand it. Binned a whole batch made with cucumber, melon FO. It was vile.

Fresh Snow from BrambleBerry. I tried adding lavender and eucalyptus but the nasty stuff overpowers everything! Anyone want to buy some?!

Thats funny, I just got fresh snow and I think it smells great. I really don't like bay rum, just smells eww. Not a huge fan of bakery smells like cookies/cakes.

Mine would be most "chocolate" scents...as much as I love eating is as much as I hate smelling it as it always ends up being to over powering and sickening to me.

Anything with "blue" or "water" in the description. Don't know why, but I do remember the first time I smelled something like that was in a men's cologne, and it was awful, just awful.

Florals/very perfumey scents literally give me migraines. I'm that woman sprinting through department store entrances while holding my breath. Even straight lavendar is a problem (though I'm okay with blends).

So far, my biggest disappointment in an FO has got to be BB Realistic Cranberry. It smells like a bad gas station car deodorizer. OOB it's straight sour and chemical. Blech.

"Old lady" smells like most florals or powdery smells. They remind me of funeral homes. I'm slowly learning to tolerate rose though

Another for Fresh Snow. The first time I made it, I just couldn't stand it and gelling made it worse- it got hot and that increased the smell. There are fragrances I don't like (like the realistic cranberry- it is so strange, and Energy) but they don't get to me viscerally like Fresh Snow does.

Right now am hating jasmine. I used to be OK w/it but my mom loves it, is going back to India for a trip, and wants a bunch of it for her family. In MP - her favorite, she thinks it is prettier, but somehow scenting it is worse. Plus she wants me to put in as much as possible. It gives me a headache to smell it now, even walking by a heavily scented vine, which I used to love.

I used to hate patchouli and rose but am coming to like some of them through soapmaking.

Like many men's fragrances (am definitely a green/unisex type fan) but hate bay rum as well. Have never added lime though, that is supposed to help a lot.

It's so interesting how different people are when it comes to personal taste in scent. It's just like food I guess. I happen to love BB Fresh Snow and so do many people I've made it for. I also love patchouli straight or blended.

My absolute worst FO was BB's Ancient Sedona. Something in it makes me nauseous, even when blended. For those that have used it in the shower, they love the scent throw in the steam. I haven't allowed my hubby to use it even though he liked it, lol.

I do agree with others that don't like BB's Energy. There's just nothing in it that endears me to it, even blended.

I think BB's Energy is one of those FOs that you really love or just don't. I don't, it seems to be a fairly undistinguished citrus blend which is not that pleasant. But the lovers are fanatics, and allegedly it sticks forever. But I do love a handful of the other BB scents, though (I think they are good quality so long as you like the fragrance.) It is strange how much we all differ, you would think there would some unifying factor for those of us who use scents a lot, but that is definitely not the case. Just as well, it makes it more interesting!

Back