tallow recipe?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBot

Reaction score
I'm going to try soaping with tallow for the first time while I wait for my shea/meadowfoam/cocoa butter experiment to cure. Any suggestions for good starter recipe? Is it appropriate to simply replace the palm oil with an equal amount of tallow, or should I use more? Or less? (I'm talking about tallow's performance in soap, not the lye; obviously I'll re-calculate for the lye.)

A typical recipe for me is a combo of olive, coconut and palm that makes up about 88% of the oils (I play round with the ratios a bit), 4% castor, 4% butter (shea or avocado, sometimes mango seed) and 4% special superfat (such as meadowfoam, sweet almond, apricot kernel, jojoba, or shea), added after the cook.

What portions of the 88% would you suggest I use for the tallow, olive, and coconut?

Or is there another recipe entirely that you've found is good for venturing into tallow?

Here is an example of what you can use:
25% Coconut Oil
40% Olive or Rice Bran Oil
30% Tallow
5% Castor Oil

I made this one last week. Looks lovely so far.
65% tallow
25% OO
5% Castor
5% Shea

It's for a facial bar so there's no CO but I guess part of tallow can be replaced with 20-25% of CO.

I just did one that's:

40% tallow
40% olive
15% coconut
5% castor

...I'm all about the conditioning, though. You could certainly drop the olive and raise the tallow if you'd rather have more cleansing and creamy lather. Or add some more coconut for more bubbles and drop the olive there as well.

If you want to do a straight comparison, then you can certainly take a recipe you've already made and sub the tallow for palm (making sure to check the lye amounts). That's the scientific way to see what changes are made, at least!

I just did one that's:

40% tallow
40% olive
15% coconut
5% castor

...I'm all about the conditioning, though. You could certainly drop the olive and raise the tallow if you'd rather have more cleansing and creamy lather. Or add some more coconut for more bubbles and drop the olive there as well.
Can you tell me how fast it trace. Tomorrow I am making exactly like yours. I usually use lard too, but I want to try just tallow:))

Can you tell me how fast it trace. Tomorrow I am making exactly like yours. I usually use lard too, but I want to try just tallow:))

It seemed to be a little slower trace than the lard recipe that hit almost the same numbers in SoapCalc (55% lard, 25% olive, 15% coconut, 5% castor).

It was a little faster trace than palm oil at the same percentages as the recipe I listed, but nothing I would have noticed if I weren't specifically analyzing how this recipe was moving. This was my first use of tallow as well!

Setup was a touch slower than the lard recipe, but again, nothing I would have noticed if I weren't looking.

Overall? I like lard better. Unless this is super-duper fantastic in the shower thirty days from now, I'll still be a fan of lard over tallow. I can use more lard in a given recipe, so the bar is cheaper. Lard produces so much great lather all by itself that it's almost a miracle oil, and although the cleansing number isn't great I can't say I have a problem with it.

Plus my husband has requested that no soap without lard ever show up in our shower again. He's not particular, but absolutely loves those lard bars.

Thanks, all! Hope to make the soap tomorrow. If I can get my act together tonight and clean up the kitchen.

Anybody know the shelf life of tallow? I tried searching here on the forum and also generally on Google, but didn't find very clear or consistent information.

In my search, however, I ran across some chatter about the relationship between heat, oxidation, and rancidity. I haven't got DOS on any of my soaps (yet!), but it made me wonder: does the heat used in HP make the oils more likely to oxidize/go rancid/develop DOS?

I use sodium citrate in my soaps, and I would love to use BHT, but I can't seem to find it for sale, and people wig out about stuff like that on labels anyway.

I did a 70% Tallow, 20% Coconut and 10% soybean {I was out of castor or I would've used that} and at 2 days it lathered like nobodys biz...{actually the container I mixed in bubbled when I did clean up lol} Big fluffies and then creamy lather..this may be my new fave.

Im a cool to RT soaper, and it moved slow enough that I would've had plenty of time to swirl or design. No FO or colors added for my test.

That was 7 days ago, and I can't wait to get it in the shower and test it out. I have yet to do my own rendered lard soap, but Im working on it ;)

I saw that one about the tallow. The problem is it basically says that (officially, anyway) tallow is good for a month on the shelf. It's pretty vague after that, and then it starts talking about refrigerating and freezing.

I'm not going to store it in the freezer or fridge, and I'm certain it must last longer than a month at a reasonable room temperature. I think they are being very conservative so they don't get in trouble.

Im not sure on the length of time in a cool room, but I can verify that my own rendered tallow sat for almost 8 months in my fridge in stainless steel bowls and had nothing wrong with it when I finally was able to soap with it..it is now in plastic storage bags in chunks in my fridge.

I have used tallow and lard for cooking as well, and I have never seen any of it go rancid after a few months of sitting in a closed container in a cool room..altho sometimes there is a slight color change.

Could just be my location and other variables tho..maybe others have had different results?

Latest posts

Back