slightly oil on CPOP soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gemsupthepoley

Reaction score
The learning curve and request for information carries on I'm afraid:wave:

I made my Dandegoat soap and there was another thread as the frozen milk/lye never heated up much.

Room temp was much cooler as the stove wasn't on so I looked and found a soaping 101 video on CPOP.

I used the top oven and turned heat off when it all went to gel. It's setting now but there is still slight signs of oil at the edges and on top like an oiled finish.

Is that likely to go or have I over heated it in the oven?:crazy:

If the lye mixture never heated up, your lye may not be completely active. But seems like the soap turned out ok. The first time I did CPOP it was in a 12 cavity mold, not a log/ slab. My soaps did the same thing. It's glycerine, and it will absorb back into the soap.

If the lye mixture never heated up, your lye may not be completely active. But seems like the soap turned out ok. The first time I did CPOP it was in a 12 cavity mold, not a log/ slab. My soaps did the same thing. It's glycerine, and it will absorb back into the soap.

Many thanks. I heated the lye mix and it turned the GM yellow so I'm fairly sure it activated. I'll let it set for 48hrs instead on my usual 24hrs and hopefully.............

I didn't follow your other thread. So didn't know what went on there. I came back to say that I could be wrong in assuming it is glycerine. I think you should zap test if it is lye water. May be double check your recipe. I just don't want to give a wrong advice.

This is reminding me of a batch of salt bars I did with a mineral rich salt used as an animal mineral supplement.Thought I'd give it a try, if for no other reason it was 17 bucks for 50 pounds.My friend at the farm where I go for chicken feed gave me a couple of pounds to try out.
Well, I do love to cpop...seems I started in the beginning doing that to various degrees of success....one memorable boil over and several batches with bubbles....recently on a thread here someone said she (or he) goes to 120 F and shuts the oven off...I'll be trying that in the future to avoid the bubbles(this was in silicone molds).
With all that said, I pulled out these salt bars and there was a lake on top of them! I unmolded them and set them off to cure, thinking I'll be using these personally for years.In the process of unmolding,
I definitely came into contact with the liquid, which ,to this day, I'm certain it was glycerin. Set them off to the side, repeated the mantra of smaller batches in my head and ignored them. For weeks. Guess what...all absorbed! And my friends don't feel any difference between these bars and the more traditional sea salt bars. So, if the liquid you're referring to feels slightly viscous chances are it's glycerin. I'll let my valued gurus on this forum to possibly tackle what went wrong; I'm just chiming in that I'll bet all is not lost!

One of the few times I've CPOP'd I had an oily slick on top. It re absorbed.
Now I just insulate well with towels and sometimes use a dog whelping mat that has gentler heat.

Thanks Seawolfe.

I cut it this morning and it was soft but nice to cut with a knife. Some 'oil' on the cut faces but I'm sure it will soak in. Tried the zap test but not sure what zap feels like (tried with several soaps but don't get the feeling. All I taste is soap...

It's another one in the bag so to speak and a bit more learning. Thanks again or all the help.

I did a batch of CPOP that did the same thing. When I peeked in the oven (with the light; I didn't open it), the top was bubbling and almost crispy looking.

The day after taking it out, it was no longer bubbly or crispy looking but there was an oily goopy residue left on top. It never went away but it was easy to wipe off with a paper towel, which is what I did when it still hadn't reabsorbed after a few weeks. I hope yours just reabsorbs!

I've deliberately tried the zap test on a few soaps the day after making and cutting them. I don't seem to get the 'zap'.

I'm not sure what to expect (I read up on it) personally, but I just don't taste it!!!

I gave the liquid stuff a really good lick (that's what you do isn't it;)) and I'm sure it's not lye.

It's soaking in well

Lol, I just had that oily liquid on my soap once and I never licked it. I put it on the back of my hand to see if it was emollienty. Such was the confidence in my recipe and technique at that time. Btw from what I here zap is a feeling not a taste. Although your glycerine must have tasted sweet.

I've deliberately tried the zap test on a few soaps the day after making and cutting them. I don't seem to get the 'zap'.

I'm not sure what to expect (I read up on it) personally, but I just don't taste it!!!

I gave the liquid stuff a really good lick (that's what you do isn't it;)) and I'm sure it's not lye.

It's soaking in well

If you're not sure, then you didn't get a zap. Zap is a feeling, not a taste, and completely unmistakeable.

You are funny, gems. I always cut a piece off the end after unmolding, cut that one up into smaller ones, and use those for the licking/pre-full cure testing bits. I know people recommend against a direct lick, but I like doing it too. Although I don't know about keeping it there for ages, I don't even do that w/chocolate. OK, especially with chocolate, that gets swallowed pretty fast :)

Back