First batch questions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kheret

Reaction score
I made my first batch of soap yesterday morning and I've encountered a few issues already. My recipe was:

20 oz lard
5 oz olive oil
3 oz coconut oil
3.99 oz lye (run through SoapCalc at 5% SF)
1.0 oz atlas cedar essential oil

I used a stick blender to blend the oils and the lye water, and honestly given the static electricity, I'm sure less than 3.99 oz of lye ended up in the actual soap.

It smells AWESOME but when I unmolded and cut it this morning after 24 hours, it was crumbly. I used a putty knife to cut it. It wasn't "hard and crumbly," more like "soft and crumbly." The best analogy I can think of is cheesecake consistency, but a little more firm than that.

I know that crumbly soaps can be a sign of lye heaviness. Even though it's only been 24 hours, I zap tested it. I didn't get a strong zap, but there was a little tingle. I suppose this could be alkalinity, or could it be the cedarwood oil? (Full disclosure: I burned my tongue while making soup last night, so maybe I'm not a great zap tester right now!)

Is it too early to tell if there's a problem? Did I just cut it too soon?

Sounds like you cut a little soon. No worries though, it should be just fine, zap test it again in a couple days.

kheret said:
The best analogy I can think of is cheesecake consistency, but a little more firm than that.

No worries- the above quote is the perfect description of the consistency of un-gelled soap. It just needs to cure, is all. :)

I'm a little concerned with the 3.99 oz amount of your lye, though. Is there an oil you forgot to include in your posted recipe? I ask because I ran your posted recipe through SoapCalc and came up with a 1.5% superfat instead of a 5% superfat for your stated lye amount. The lye amount needed for a 5% superfat came to 3.85 oz for me on SoapCalc. Just wanted to be sure.

IrishLass :)

+1 checking that lye amt
"cheesecake" is a perfect descriptor to me of ungelled soap.

Ugh. It looks like I made a mistake when I entered the recipe and selected "fractionated coconut oil" by accident. I guess my soap may not be usable after all. :sad:

A 1.5% superfat will still be safe to use! Don't worry. You can make soap with a 0% superfat and still have it be great. Even lye heavy soaps (with a high water content) can eventually be safe (depends on a few factors and lots of time). With your soap, if after 6 weeks of cure time, you still find it to be drying but it is not zapping, you can always try rebatching and adding a little extra oil for superfat.

You can read this great thread on superfating if you're curious.

ETA: http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=43155

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back