Castor Oil. Yea or nay?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samirish

Reaction score
So I've always included Castor oil in my main soap recipe and have been very satisfied with my soap overall. However, over the past year I have tweaked my recipe to no longer include the castor and honestly I just dont think I see a difference.

Do you like castor oil in your soap and if so, do you think you can tell a definite difference?

I love it in mine and I can definitely notice a difference with and without it.

How much did you use?

For what it's worth, I use it at 11.5% in my tallow/lard formula, and I use it at 10% in my all-veggie formula.

IrishLass :)

Hi IrishLass, I used to use it around 6%. However, I did use it up to 10% in a couple of batches and it left a waxy/sticky film on the skin. Do you not have that problem using Castor at such a high percentage? We do have hard water here, so not sure if that is a factor in combination with high castor oil %.

Yea! From me, anyway.

It's a standard at 5% in all my soap. It's nothing extreme, but lather increases slightly if given a good cure (and limiting super fat to about 5%, above that the impact seems lessened).

The soap also seems just a touch more skin-friendly.

I have hard water, too, but I don't feel a stickiness from my soap,. But then again, I live in a very arid region of the US where humidity is practically non-existent for most of the year, which may or may not play a part in why I feel no stickiness. Do you live in a humid area?

IrishLass :)

Definitely yay for me, notice a difference in lather, although am afraid to go above 7% or so b/c am new-ish and have read so much about stickiness. IL, your post is making think of tweaking though, esp, given the lard/hard water thing, which is what I do.

I used 5-7 % in my normal recipe but I've used 10% or more if I have a very very high hard oils recipe, like 85% tallow 15% castor. In that kind of recipe, the higher castor seems to not get sticky.

Thanks, newbie, that is good to know. I have been working with tallow added batches and just don't like it as much lard. For me - at least so far - it makes the bars hard er and prettier, but not as moisturizing. So it is good to have you guys to add stuff to the mental blender.

I know I will never get this right, but it sure is fun to try.

Last edited:
The no fail recipe I use since a long time has 12% castor oil in it. I wait a bit longer to cut the soap and cure it for the longest period recommended and then it is one nice bar of soap to use....so in other words YAY!

Latest posts

Back