Colored with food colors

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Made these yesterday using FD & C colorants. The pink is red #33 and the orange is red #40. Gelled to bring out the bright color.

2dmgqs4.jpg

15cn4ep.jpg

Are those soaps? Lol. Gorgeous. I immedietly thought of my close friends daughters. May be I can make such beautiful soaps one day for them. Really nice swirls.

Obsidian, do you care about bleeding? I have never used FDC's, but do use BB Labcolors, which bleed. I don't care so much because I don't sell them, but it would be really great to get such beautiful, bright, easily used colors without the bleeding, at least sometimes.

Depends on what kind of bleeding you mean. I dislike colored lather unless its barely noticeable, however, I don't mind colors that migrate or bleed into the surrounding colors. I don't sell either but even if I did, I wouldn't mind migrating colors as long as I knew it would happen and planned the swirls to look ok with it.
This was a itps at heavy trace, turned out a lot better then I thought it would.

I was talking about the colors which start to migrate into the surrounding ones in the soap, which happens w/LabColors. As I said, I don't mind it, and oftentimes it is pretty. But I do wish I could that combo of deep, bright color *and* crisp lines sometimes. I would be happy with that swirl any day.

Thanks, I'm really happy with them:) I've only used one of these colors before and it did bleed a little but not much. This batch was actually a test to see how bad the migration is. I should have used a bit less color and made more defined swirls but I sure do like the wisps swirls.
I have some neon pigment powders that make nice vibrant colors that don't bleed but you need quite a lot. With the food dyes, you need such a tiny amount that is can be hard to control. I didn't make them that bright on purpose lol.

Wow! Absolutely stunning! Your white is so bright! I'm having trouble with that one.do the FD&C colorants accelerate trace?

I used a lot of TD, I wanted a nice bright white. DO you use TD? I generally use 1 tsp PPO but doubled this time. The FD & C didn't affect trace at all, I soaped too warm and went a bit crazy with the SB.

Back