Body Butter - Dead Fish

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lillybella

Reaction score
I ran out of my Avocado Body Butter which I can't live without.

I decided to make a double batch - 2 lbs. plus!

I added the preservative .... Optiphen (which I have used many times)!

Have you all figured out where this is going?

The Optiphen & body butter STINK! It's in the garage now hardening so I can toss it!

I don't get it. I have used Optiphen before.

I need to make another batch. Good thing I buy a lot of Avocado Butter.

Now I need another preservative to use. I can't find my Phenonip, but doesn't Phenonip have a smell too?

Is there anyway to save the Optiphen batch? So many costly ingredients but OH! that smell ...

Can Vitamin E go rancid that has a smell too!

Today must be my SMELLY DAY!!!

Last edited:
I don't think so. It's pretty strong. It smells like low tide in my house & I'm in Colorado! :lolno:

I never realized that optiphen could have an odor. I just read the review from BB:

This synthetic preservative has a slight odor that is noticeable. I used about 5g in the 'cool down' phase when I made my body cream along with the Coconut Mango fragrance oil and I can smell both the optiphen and the coconut mango fragrance. I'd much rather prefer that any preservative that I use for my next batch of body cream be odorless. If anyone can recommend another product, please do so. Thanks!!
Reply from Bramble Berry
Our Optiphen does have a slight scent to it. Though, in our tests and recipes this scent was unnoticeable in the final product when used at .5-1.5%.

What other ingredients are in your butter? I don't think Optiphen can go bad - does it smell different OOB?

There is a slight scent OOB.

I uses 2 lbs of Avocado Butter which I smelled first - Oils & IPM & Vitamin E.

I've never used Optiphen, but for what it's worth, I use Phenonip (from Lotioncrafter) and it has never emitted smell in my lotions.

IrishLass :)

BTMS can have a fishy odor too. I've not noticed an odor with Optiphen. I got mine at MMS.

oops! This is CRAZY!!! I used Phenonip! The Phenonip smells bad right OOB!

Does Phenonip have a strong odor?

I've only used Optiphen to mix LabColors, no smell to me OOB, in the colorant, or in the soap. Don't use much though. Lilly, sorry that was such a big batch, it sounds like it would be lovely normally. Such a waste, grrr.

Why are you embarrassed? If I had pictures of some of my fails you would definitely think, "OK, I have no reason to be embarrassed.":)

Perhaps you could make amends by posting the recipe for the body butter, it sounded good except for the fishiness!

Oh! not_ally you are so sweet!

I have made this so many times! Today must be an off day for me - doing too many things at once!
I have posted the recipe before. Here it is again!

16 ounces Avocado Butter (I love this)!
2 ounces Argan Oil
2 ounces Jojoba Oil
1 tsp Vitamin E
3% IPM
Preservative

I slather this on. It is WONDERFUL!

This sounds good. I have super dry skin but go light on the butters b/c I don't like the initial greasiness of some of them in creams/lotions. But do like mango and avocado, so will try this one. Thanks, Lilly! Me and my dry skin are really looking forward to using this :)

So would most use Optiphen or Phenonip?

I guess I need a new bottle of Phenonip!

I'm using Georgia Peach from Peak in it!
I will keep this batch for myself in the refrigerator!

I would not use a preservative in an anhydrous formula if it was just for personal use. I would decant a small amount to use and refrigerate the rest. I currently use Optiphen ND in lotions and can smell a very slight scent OOB, but at 1% usage it is undetectable. Hope you figure it out!

I use Optiphen plus, Phenonip and Germal liquid and none of them stinks , for sure not the fishy smell. I used optiphen plus for over two years. I still do. I would think that something had contaminated your avocado butter

I would not use a preservative in an anhydrous formula if it was just for personal use. I would decant a small amount to use and refrigerate the rest. I currently use Optiphen ND in lotions and can smell a very slight scent OOB, but at 1% usage it is undetectable. Hope you figure it out!

Thank you Aline, this is exactly what I did!

Back