Spin swirls

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kchaystack

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought I would start a thread about this since so many of us are in this months challenge, and we keep hijacking other threads. :D

First I am kind intimidated by all the people I am up against! I was kinda hoping the split between US and International would thin the field some, but I see that this month participation is way up!

But I think this is a great technique, and am looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with. I also can not wait to get back in my basement and do my next batch! :D

I'm not doing the challenge, but the spin swirl does seem like one that even a relative newbie, like me, can do and get better at. Hah, my first one was awful, so this is hopeful more than anything else :)

I like the fact that this technique is the challenge b/c of that, though. For contrast, see the butterfly swirl (hate and love Zahida/Handmade in Florida). That one is kind of a you-know-what .

Last edited:
LOL not_ally!!! I think I'm going to do my swirl again because my first batch of batter thickened up quicker than I wanted. I think it's because I was using a bigger mold and couldn't pour fast enough (even with my husband pouring with me). Now I gotta find new colors to swirl with :)

I wonder what it would take to have multiple color batters mixed up to a light trace all at the same time, as I think it is really important for all colors to be at the same level of fluidity to get smooth lines. Also wondering if one would spin after everything is poured or at multiple stages of the pour to probably get more complex swirl throughout. Yep, I watch a lot of videos and no I haven't done any swirling.

I wish all the very best to all the participants from SMF. I know you guys and girls will do wonderful. Anticipating to see some of your soaps when the results are announced.go for it

Julie, I thought your first spin swirl look really good (way better than mine, meant to comment on another thread and got waylaid.)

V., I think you have to swirl all of the colored hold outs at the same time. I hope this makes some kind of sense. One of the things I like about this technique is that it seems like it is actually sort of simple, if you did it enough you could actually do it well, and the colors go through the whole soap so beautifully, hard in a slab mold.

Welcome to all new contestants! We need to tell everyone, after voting closes of course, which ours is. I've done now 4 challenges, and because my first and second and even third plus soaps each challenge aren't quite right, I've done multiple practices each challenge. It's really helping me work on my swirling techniques and work at getting good at them, or at least descent at them lol.
I did 3 spins. I'm done I'm pretty sure. I don't have anything mind blowing, but I finally got a descent one and am calling it quits.

My main problem is when I spun, the center wanted to remain still and the outsides spin into a massive blur. It looks nice in the middle after cutting the bars, but not so much on top. This swirl was more challenging than I was expecting with regards to executing what I wanted specifically.

Thanks not_ally . I just wanted to see more definitive spin swirls than I saw. Might just try it again for the heck of it :)

Good luck to everyone!!!

I tried to make my entry today, may have been a bit ambitious with 7 colours... but can't really tell if it's going to be good until its set enough to cut. The anticipation is killing me!

Seven! Oh dear, you are very ambitious. I thought 4 might be much for me! :D

I tried to make my entry today, may have been a bit ambitious with 7 colours... but can't really tell if it's going to be good until its set enough to cut. The anticipation is killing me!

7 - WOW!!!! And I thought my 4 was difficult...and that was WITH another set of hands helping! :)

I made my first one today also - and I am probably going to make another ;) This is probably my most fugly soap yet. We'll see tomorrow when I cut it. I had four colors plus the plain batter, and one of the colors, Amaranth Pink, seized up pretty solid - the rest were nicely fluid.

This is my 6th time participating in the GC challenge. Good luck, everyone! I'm pregnant and have a wild one year old boy that doesn't allow for me to have more than one or at best two tries at these challenges. It's really hard not to want to do more and perfect each challenge! Maybe it's a good thing! I'd soap all day everyday! Can't wait to see all your swirls!

Originality in this one is really tough. Plus how people vote is still somewhat mysterious. And i can tell you, spinning a double thick batch in a slab mold that is full to the brim is not at all ideal and is in some ways plain dangerous. I've never slopped so much soap in such a wide radius before.

I tried a spin swirl a while back... with a beer soap. All was going well for the first spin. Then on the second spin, it heated up unevenly. I was swooshing batter snotty-chunks all over. The end result was odd, fuzzy looking swirls and a bunch of soap spilling out of my mold. It will be a while before I purposely fling my molds around again. :)

Good luck to all the participants! I cannot wait to see what y'all create!

I have dredged up my lazy Susan from the loft. It was a gift that hasn't ever been used. I'm not really into entertaining guests at home! I can imagine that I am going to have batter spattering everywhere if I'm not careful! I am giving it a go this morning so fingers crossed it works. I don't feel like I want to have lots of goes at this one. The chances of making something really amazing are more down to chance than anything else I think. I bought a tall sided plastic box to use as a mould as my wooden slab mould is enormous and if I have to make lots of batches I don't want to be overrun with soap.

Back