High and low water batter makes for interesting soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here is my batch from today using high and low water batter. Used three colors only. Auntie Clara rocks! Fresh Cut Roses and Champagne.

The green one was made using the same technique but I used only Chromiun GReen oxide and AC. It looks like snot in the picture but the green is better in real life. Agua do Gio

IMG_0258.jpg

IMG_0259.jpg

IMG_0257.jpg

IMG_0242.jpg

Last edited:
Very beautiful. Love the delicacy of the swirls.

This soap actually makes me curious, newbie, you are clearly a really good technician, and can sort of figure out what you want and make your soaps look that way. Is it still great when you don't know what to expect and get a great swirl? I have to admit, if I was really good I might not take as many chances, the downside risk is pretty low for me at this point.

Hahahahahaha! If you saw all the crappily designed soap in my basement, you would know I'm not a good technician. I don't like to do the same thing for too long (all I want to do is take chances!) so I'm always messing up my soap, looking for something new and different, which seems pretty hard to come by in the soap world. At least there are things that are new and different for me, even though they've probably been done a million times by other people. So, I can assure you that I am totally thrilled when I cut a soap and it looks good inside. I also want to break a window when I cut a soap I was sure would turn out okay and it's garbage. I have self-control, thankfully.

PS. I had ZERO idea what this soap would look like. Parts of it were thick as mud and parts of it were still fairly fluid. I thought it might look like vomit, for all I knew.

Last edited:
I love the way it turned out with dreamy wispy swirls.

I've got my fair share of failed bars too, because I can't resist the challenge of new techniques (well, new to me). Luckily my Dad pretty much washes his way through most of them.

Hahahahahaha! If you saw all the crappily designed soap in my basement, you would know I'm not a good technician. I don't like to do the same thing for too long (all I want to do is take chances!) so I'm always messing up my soap, looking for something new and different, which seems pretty hard to come by in the soap world. At least there are things that are new and different for me, even though they've probably been done a million times by other people. So, I can assure you that I am totally thrilled when I cut a soap and it looks good inside. I also want to break a window when I cut a soap I was sure would turn out okay and it's garbage. I have self-control, thankfully.

PS. I had ZERO idea what this soap would look like. Parts of it were thick as mud and parts of it were still fairly fluid. I thought it might look like vomit, for all I knew.

Remember what Babe Ruth said about hitting home runs.
“How to hit home runs: I swing as hard as I can, and I try to swing right through the ball... The harder you grip the bat, the more you can swing it through the ball, and the farther the ball will go. I swing big, with everything I've got. I hit big or I miss big. I like to live as big as I can.”

I think the great soap makers do the same - think big - sure you are going to strike out more than others but you'll also hit more home runs.

Back