CP seizure help please

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gemsupthepoley

Reaction score
Well I just had my first CP seizure. All going well and i got medium trace in about 8 seconds with the SB:oops: I washed up and nothing is disolving like normal so I'm pretty sure it seized. It was 100% beer and coffee with the lye that was responsible I'm sure.
Question is do I have to dump it in the slow cooker/crock pot or will it saponify?
I'm thinking crock pot :confused:

Stop. Watch it carefully. When you see gel, dump it into the mold FAST.

It's in the mould. Thought it was just super quick trace due to the sugars in the beer. Not sure it's really well mixed.

On the safe side should I just rebatch it?

Guess I should have read this thread before answering in the last thread. If it is in the mold do not worry about it. Siezed soap will generally gel when it gets around to it and soap does not have to gel to be safe. I gel very few soaps. If you want to force gel and have an oven safe mold you can heat your oven to 200 degrees fareinheit turn off and put your soap in the oven. Beer soaps usually generate quite a lot of heat so watch it that it does not decide to volcano. Any alcohol in soap can cause seizing and I have run into the most problems with IPA beers and always have issues with wine

Guess I should have read this thread before answering in the last thread. If it is in the mold do not worry about it. Siezed soap will generally gel when it gets around to it and soap does not have to gel to be safe. I gel very few soaps. If you want to force gel and have an oven safe mold you can heat your oven to 200 degrees fareinheit turn off and put your soap in the oven. Beer soaps usually generate quite a lot of heat so watch it that it does not decide to volcano. Any alcohol in soap can cause seizing and I have run into the most problems with IPA beers and always have issues with wine

I boiled it for 90 mins and thought all alcohol would be gone. It was a fairly dark strong ale so maybe just lots of sugars?

I've been watching it incase of a volcano. It's not heating up so I'll try the oven.

Many thanks

I had one beer syrup batch seize up too - I think the syrup might have been too concentrated, and I should have soaped cooler.
It was fine after a good cure.

Thanks for all the help and encouragment folks Appreciated.

It's in the oven now! Very quickly went shiny and it's hard due to the soap colour darkness to see if it's gelled. I'll have to leave it overnight and go to bed (the oven is off:razz:) and we'll see.

It's in the oven now! Very quickly went shiny and it's hard due to the soap colour darkness to see if it's gelled. I'll have to leave it overnight and go to bed (the oven is off:razz:) and we'll see.

Well personally I have observed that maybe gel can be noticed when the soap is turning from shinny to matte look on its surface.

O-C-P-PK-Castor-oils-1.jpg

O-C-P-PK-Castor-oils-2.jpg

so I always turn of the oven when it has the matte look.

Well I just had my first CP seizure. All going well and i got medium trace in about 8 seconds with the SB:oops: I washed up and nothing is disolving like normal so I'm pretty sure it seized. It was 100% beer and coffee with the lye that was responsible I'm sure.

I haven't used Stick Blender when beer is the liquid and I will always use a whisk and a spatula, along with mixing lye and oils at cool temperature to control the time that soap will reach trace.

Nikos

Last edited:
I checked this morning. When I put it in the oven the surface went shiny gloss dark brown. It's now a matte lighter brown. I'll cut it later today and see what it looks like. The residue on the mold washes up like soap so that's a good start. It'll pass for soap:grin:

Last edited:
Okay. The saga continues. The soap cut just fine with only a little bit breakout at the bottom. The inside looks nice and evenly coloured and glossy. The top is a horrible dry brown colour.

So, adding the beer/coffee all at once with lye is a no no. I will add half the amount at light trace next time.

I will boil the beer down a bit more next time. I think I'll weigh out what I need in total liquid as beer and reduce that to 25%. I can weigh out the difference in water and use that for lye and add the beer later so the total weight of liquid is correct (does that sound right!)

Every day is a new adventure. Thanks again folks.

Is it just the tippety top that is a horrid color? Ie; can you plane it?

I don't have a curved plane!!!:(

I was having a great paddle about getting it in the mould. It's kind of...curved... to say the least. Then I'd have to do the sides and bottom and I forgot to mention there's a crack in the middle (not selling it well am I:lol:)

I trimmed one piece but was wasting too much. On a dark night with the lights out in the shower it'll look fine......

That is the great thing about not selling, you can just enjoy it and make it look prettier the next time! I don't know about you, but I am having fun being a learner :)

Lots of fun not-ally. It's certainly a soap that should be easy to improve the looks of!!!!!!!

I love making things and finding the ingredients for free. This all started as I could get tallow for nothing:cry::cry::cry:

Tallow for nothing and your kicks for free :) That should be some kind of soap anthem. I don't get the ingredients for free but love that I can get the one that I like the best and use the most very inexpensively, lard is $29 for a 50 lb box. That makes a whole lot of soap :)

Edited to add: And some great french fries (chips to you), to boot.

Latest posts

Back