What the heck? Surely it isn't mold???

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PuddinAndPeanuts

Reaction score
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1427838486.289056.jpg

Ok, what the heck is going on here?? This is an anhydrous body butter. Cocoa butter, Coconut oil, Karanja oil, peppermint essential oil, shea butter. Slathered it on my feet last night before putting socks on, and my socks had a distinctly black tinge to them this morning- I didn't think much of it (thought maybe I'd run to the car without shoes and forgotten or something). I know the picture is a little unclear, but there's a definite dark spot in the bag that may be growing. My only thought is that maybe I didn't dry off the mixer as well as I thought, and got a touch of water in there? That still doesn't really explain the socks though...

How old is it? I've had babbasu oil grow mold in the container but it was about 8 years old at that point kept at about 60 degrees.

I have hemp butter as well about 4 years now but still looks ok but I am sure isn't safe to use anymore.

How old is it? I've had babbasu oil grow mold in the container but it was about 8 years old at that point kept at about 60 degrees.

I got the oil a few weeks ago. Made the body butter on Friday, and re melted it and added more of the butters yesterday and then cooled and remixed it (trying to get it to the perfect consistency). Again- no water. So flippin' strange!

I know you said no water but is there any liquid of any kind? Glycerin?

None- only the ingredients I have listed above. Right now my best theory is that there was a drop of water on the beaters when I whipped it. As this is kind of a research/test batch, I might not have been as vigilant as usual about drying them. But still- it doesn't explain the socks! This is a first for me- since I only do anhydrous stuff, I've never grown the green n black fuzzies before!

If you just made it yesterday I think it is too early for the mold to be growing, molds are slow to grow. I would think your beaters/ motor gave of something greasy that you didn't notice before bagging it up. In general I think bag is not a great thing to store something you would be using your hands to get to on a regular basis.
I add glycerine to my bb as plain fats don't cut it for me during the harsh winters. I have used up to 50%, it sweats a bit on the surface sometimes which is wiped off during use, with clean fingers of course. Haven't had any mold so far, apparently glycerine has anti microbial properties.
The stickiness is a whole diff matter, it lasts for some hours but better than dry itchy skin.

I agree with Vkumudini (I hope I spelled that right!). I have a Kitchen Aid mixer and it has beaters that give off a black substance inside the area where it attaches to the machine, if that makes sense. I have often found black on my hands after attaching the paddle.

Back