Thrasher hydroponics lye?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I ordered their 99% pure lye from Amazon and used it twice in a familiar recipe. Both times
The batter developed a slight curdle or maybe on the edge of ricing....hard to say because I've never experienced ricing. However both batches were unscented and uncolored. The finished bars were smooth except for a couple edges.

Has anyone used this lye before? Can something in the lye cause this? Is it something I did?
(And no, there's no zapping)

I am not familiar with this brand of lye, but notice that it is not 100% lye--that other something might be your problem. All of the soap making instructions I've seen are very specific to use 100% lye. I have ordered lye from vendors in quantity but found lye doesn't seem to have a long shelf life and when it gets old it doesn't work as it should. My favorite lye is Roebic Professional Strength Crystal Drain Opener - 100% lye - in a 2 lb. container from Lowes. This works like a charm for me. Hope this is helpful

What is a price of that Lowe's lye?

$14.98 at my Lowe's

033051120878lg.jpg

Latest posts

Back