Not sure what all these spots are...or what to do now.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Made this soap the other day, and it looked fabulous in the mold. Cut it a few days later, and saw all these weird spots and streaks. Is this a do-over? Thanks in advance!

000.jpg

00.jpg

0.jpg

Is the soap zappy? If so let it cure some more and check again. If it's just on the surface it could just be ash, does it rinse off? Doi you use Palm? If so was it well mixed while melted? If not maybe it's just stearic acid streaks.

No, not zappy. This recipe called for palm, but I subbed lard, then ran it through the soapmaking 3 lyecalc. I figured why not go ahead and clean it up and rinse to see if it was the top layers. It's not. Here are other pics. I don't have a lot of rebatch practice, so if that's the consensus, it's all good. :) I hope you can zoom in to see them. I took pics of all sides. I'm nurautic that way. :) Thanks!

1427687988410.jpg

I was told to dig a piece out and rub it between gloved fingers, if it's hard and waxy and doesn't zap it's probably stearic acid. Do you all find that to be the case? Your soap looks like marbled cheesecake. Some of these threads are making me hungry.
Your top marbling is lovely!

Not zappy, and it felt like regular soap when I rubbed it and rinsed it. I also read to rub it between a paper towel, and if it turns brown it is lye. It didn't turn any color. Thanks, btw!

If it does not zap I would not worry about it. Does look like it has a healthy amount of ash. Did you use any oatmeal or botanicals in it, I have seen moisture collect around oatmeal and a few other botanicals.

Latest posts

Back