just wondering as new here

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terr

Reaction score
how many soapers on this forum are from uk? I am only asking as would be easier to get advise on shopping !, by the way I am from notts

thanks for all your help so far

carry on soaping

:wave:

Hello and welcome to the forum. There are many from the UK and around the world actually. There are quite a few topics that have been focused on UK suppliers etc. You will find a lot of very helpful people and information here.

Hi thanks for this, it is really great that I have found this website as I have got really confused watching u tub videos as they all seem to conflict each other , I have now made 3 batches of soap and yet to have one works out right , but I wont give up although I could do with a new scale that shows increments of 0.01 ozs

I'm from the UK!

Regarding scales you're better off using grams if yours have that setting?

Ooh just noticed you said you're from Notts - me too!! Well originally I was, from Sutton In Ashfield but am in the north east now

I round down for lye and up for oils in grams. If you're having problems with a particular recipe, why not post it, your concerns with the end result, and the full process you used to make it here. Pictures of the end result help too. We'd be more than happy to try to figure out what went wrong.

There is a lot of awesome information on youtube.... and a lot of terrible too. A good beginning video series is Soaping 101 (start with the oldest first since they build on one another).

Down on the lye, up on the oils - just to be extra safe. That said, my 0.1g increments mean that I can usually get it fairly spot on the amount required with no rounding.

ETA, in answer to your question - I'mfrom the UK, but I live in Austria so not too helpful on UK suppliers

Last edited:
thanks that is really helpful and will use this advice rather than having to buy a new set of scales ! and will look at the videos 101

great!! you are such a helpful lot
:?

Welcome, Terr! :wave:

In spite of my UK-sounding username, I live on the other side of the pond in the US and have never even been to the UK, but I've always wanted to visit.

IrishLass :)

Hi terr - soap making is really good fun isn't it. In answer to your question with my very limited experience as a soap maker these are the places I have been buying my stuff from.
1. Amazon (obvs) there is a company called naiisence based in Swansea good for butters and certain oils.
2. Bookers cash and carry for oo po and vegetable oil.
3. Astor and Windsor for fragrances look online for site. Also they sell mpg and denatured alcohol lovely company to deal with.
4. For micas lovecrafts based in Cardiff - amazon again and that's about as far as I have got with my 6 weeks of experience of soap making - if I can be of any help please contact me.
Oh you asked where I was from its tenby.

Just quickly I find "the nerdyfarmwife" her recipes are really good I've made quite a few of hers and pretty much all turned out good.

Hi I already buy from e bay and amazon , but had not heard of bookers are they on line? yes I agree nerdy is a grat source for recipies, have you had a lot of success with your soaps?:clap:

Hi

I have just joined and from the UK

Not made any soap yet, still to buy supplies. Where did you get yours from? I am looking at just a soap.

There is a Bookers near me but don't you need to know someone with a card?

Last edited:
there is no where near me that sells soap making equipment that I know of so I buy all mine on line , but I would not buy from soap kitchen or just a soap as their delivery costs are quite high, where is bookers?

Bookers are national, there will probably be one somewhere near you.

They are a cash and carry that supply small shops/catering businesses.

Like I said in my previous post I don't think they are open to the public you need a card to be able to go in. The cards are issued to business so unless you know someone with a card unfortunately I don't think this is an option.

Your are right about the shipping costs from just a soap. I think you need to place an large order to make it worthwhile.

Last edited:
Hi terr well I have had a few disasters but have managed to turn it around by re batching. I actually love making melt and pour I will post a few of my better ones.

Yes you do need a card but if you are extra nice to them say you just want a one day pass I am pretty sure they will oblige. If not can't you say you are a new business soap company?????? Just a thought.

Today I looked round my nearest Asian shop.

They sold coconut oil, castor oil, sweet almond oil, and plam oil. Also the vegetable oil they had was soyabean oil (for those not in the UK the vegetable oil sold in the supermarkets here is rapeseed oil).

welcome and tell me about you batches

Hi thanks for this, it is really great that I have found this website as I have got really confused watching u tub videos as they all seem to conflict each other , I have now made 3 batches of soap and yet to have one works out right , but I wont give up although I could do with a new scale that shows increments of 0.01 ozs

Hmm what exactly is going wrong with your batches.
I would recommend starting in small 1lb batch if even 1/2 pound.
and example of trace would be when making porridge and we stir and stir until we can leave little dollops on top of he cream.

Let me know what is going wrong etc. To see if i can help.
WELCOME

there is no where near me that sells soap making equipment that I know of so I buy all mine on line , but I would not buy from soap kitchen or just a soap as their delivery costs are quite high, where is bookers?

Terr you can use pringle cans or milk containers. even plastic food container. or even shoe box. to practice.
later you can go to your local lumber supplier and get some wood and make a mold and soap cutter yourself.
molds are easy to create. The oils and lye are a different story.
potato peeler can be used for edges.
ice tray can be used for you to practice on.
silicone soap mold can also be used.

I would recommend starting in small 1lb batch if even 1/2 pound.

WELCOME

I must, respectfully, disagree with this. Please don't try to make batches with less than 500 g(or 1 lb) of oils. Small errors are magnified in smaller batches.

OP, if you would care to post your recipes/processes on here, we are pretty good at troubleshooting and giving constructive advice. You need to truly be looking for what went wrong, though, and not be offended when we tell you. It is not a personal attack, it is just us helping to make better soap.

Latest posts

Back