Scales for small amounts

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soapsense

Reaction score
My scale works great for heavier items, but I have had a hard time with making small amounts of lip balm, etc. I calibrate it with a a 5 gram nickel and it is perfect everytime, but when measuring out things that are under 5 grams, it does not work very well. What type of scale works best for smaller amounts?

My scale works great for heavier items, but I have had a hard time with making small amounts of lip balm, etc. I calibrate it with a a 5 gram nickel and it is perfect everytime, but when measuring out things that are under 5 grams, it does not work very well. What type of scale works best for smaller amounts?
This is the scale I use for most of my shaving soap batches (1 lb batches):

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IZ1YHZK/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It is a 2000x0.1 scale which means 2 kilogram (2000 gram) capacity, in 0.1 gram increments on the display. I actually use this for up to my 4# CP batches too but the scale surface is a little small and I have to use a light bowl for measuring.

Last edited by a moderator:
I forgot to mention - I use scales a lot, I even measure my coffee beans in the morning before I grind. I always look for a scale that takes regular batteries. The one above takes AAA. If you get those weird button/coin batteries yo are going to nearly double the price of the scale when it comes time to replace them. You can also count on being able to steal some AAA batteries from a remote because you *know* it will go dead in the middle of a soaping session on Saturday night. Good luck trying to find some CR2032 batteries in the middle of the night.

Extra credit for a scale that has an AC adapter. Scales go wonky when the batteries go low. An AC adapter is golden.

I love my lab quality scale: http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/and-fx-2000i.html Yeah, I know it's expensive -- I got mine for about half price, used, off eBay and even then I had to gulp a little. Now that I've used it, I really am glad I have it. It stays on forever, because it uses AC power, no batteries. It will weigh to 0.01 g and has a 2200 g capacity. That lets me weigh all ingredients for a hobbyist-size soap recipe -- everything from fragrance oils and colorants to the fats, lye, and water -- using just this one scale. The only chore about the scale is that it has to be leveled for accurate results. I wish I had a dedicated place for this scale so I could level it once and forget about it. Then it would be just about perfect. I suppose it also reminds me of the "good ol days" when I was a lowly chem lab tech. :)

It is a 2000x0.1 scale which means 2 kilogram (2000 gram) capacity, in 0.1 gram increments on the display. I actually use this for up to my 4# CP batches too but the scale surface is a little small and I have to use a light bowl for measuring.
The next one up is only $20 and is the one I have. It is 500 x 0.01g, which is what I wanted for mixing essential oils.

The next one up is only $20 and is the one I have. It is 500 x 0.01g, which is what I wanted for mixing essential oils.
The only thing bad I have to say about the Smart Weigh is the plastic "lids" will just go kerplooey when you get FO on them. :)

Thank you everyone for your help!! I am checking out everyone's suggestions.

That's the scale I got when I decided to get serious about also making lotions & such. It's great for the small amounts! My one thing is that it will shut off on me after a period of time, even if I'm right in the middle of pouring something! Argh!

Yes, I hate when that happens! I've got one like the forest one listed above but the model that does 100g in .01g intervals. My only real issue is that it auto shuts off on me.

I have found that it only shuts off when the weight is not changing. It stays on 30 secs just sitting there otherwise. If I am in the middle of a single ingredient measure and have to pause I just make sure I tap the scale occasionally. Otherwise I like the auto shut off because my batteries are not dead when I need it. If it shuts off in between ingredients its no big deal because I tare in between each anyway. If you have to turn it back on again it's just a tare with two more seconds of wait.

It will also shut off earlier if the batteries are going dead, in which case you need to change the batteries, not wish it would stay on. :)

I absolutely do not have the experience with soaps and B&B some of you have, but I do work regularly weighing things that will kill me if I get something wrong (I make pyrotechnics as a hobby) so weighing things is something I do have a lot of experience with. Sure I will use a different scale with that, lab grade, AC adapter, etc. but this little scale, for the money, beats a lot of them out there in features, accuracy, and function.

Last edited:
Well that's a little crazy! I would consider that a defect and see if I couldn't replace it with the supplier. I bought several of these, nearly 30 if I remember correctly. We use them in a club I belong to.

Well that's a little crazy! I would consider that a defect and see if I couldn't replace it with the supplier. I bought several of these, nearly 30 if I remember correctly. We use them in a club I belong to.

Uh, club?

Latest posts

Back