Matcha green tea

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navigator9

Reaction score
OK, I'm going to ask this question even though I already know the answer, because hope never dies. Is there any way of using matcha green tea in soap, and preserving it's incredible color? I saw a bar of soap years ago, that said it was colored with matcha, but no details were given. I just found a great matcha/sencha blend at Costco, and it reignited my desire for that incredible green soap. Knowing full well how lye likes to turn everything brown, I still hope that one day I may figure out how it was done. I did a search here, with no positive results, but I'm holding out hope that someone out there has accomplished this magical feat. It's very nice tea to drink, but man, it would make one gorgeous soap!

In case you aren't familiar with matcha's beautiful shade of green, here it is..... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matcha#/media/File:Matcha_tea.jpg

Possibly it could be done in HP after the cook, I imagine you would need to add something to keep it more fluid, use more colorant than usual and be absolutely sure that the soap has no zap anywhere.

Edited to add, I have not tried this but if it is the lye changing the color and not purely the PH it could work. Using a recipe that would yield a lower PH soap (by this I mean 9-10) would probably help as well.

Last edited:
I wish I had seen this about 30 minutes ago, I just poured a salt soap that I used matcha in for a swirl. Its a funky dark greenish brown but it works with the other color.

Thanks guys, I was afraid of that. Sorry Obsidian, isn't it a shame? It's such a gorgeous color green!

Yeah, it would have been beautiful. I know how to make a nice natural greeny brown now though and I think I will end up with a neat camo soap.

Latest posts

Back