Happy camper!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDennis

Reaction score
Pretty happy camper here! First 100 percent CO laundry soap done. Had a huge crack in the top within 20 min of placing in the mold and boy it got hot and hard fast but I smushed the crack together and continued on. Since I was grating it anyway the top didn't need to be pretty. Set up to cut within an hour.( not sure if that's normal) Grated within 45min after cut. Is now laid out to dry. Did a 2 lb block. Got 9 stain sticks and at least 10 cups of shreds. Should have enough shreds to last us 2 years of laundry by my calculations!

By hand because it was late and I didn't want to wake up the rest of the household. Bit of work but not bad at all. Next time I will use one of my old machines though.

Afterwards did you intone "this should see us through the winter aye, God willing"?
I dont know why but I always feel like I pioneer when I do something like that :p
Congrats on getting it all done - on my last batch of laundry soap some lunatic thought that reduced water and cavity molds were the way to go - I now have 12 rock hard pucks waiting to be grated....

Those of you who make and grate your own Landry soap, how do you use it? Is it for hand wash or do you put it in your machine? Will all the soap dissolve? Can you use all water temps, or just hot. And, how much do you use?

I haven't used the powdered kind (yet!), but I have made LS for laundry, and I use it in my machine at any temps. It can be used for hand-washing, though a significant portion of my handwash are wool-based handknits and so I keep the homemade soap well away from them (those I use a no-rinsing, no-agitation cleaner).

I myself use 2 cups grated 100% Coconut oil 0.5% superfat soap to 1 cup borax and 1 cup washing soda. I use 2 tablespoons per load in my HE front loading machine, have no issues with it dissolving in my fairly hard water, thought I usually wash on warm, and I like to add 1/4 cup white vinegar to the little cup for fabric softener. I carry some with me when I travel - its awesome for hand washing. Chunks of the soap make nice stain sticks. I'm sure people will chime in with their favorite recipes. Come join our pioneer caravan!

search "laundry soap" in advance search here - thread titles only and you'll find lots of info.

I haven't used the powdered kind (yet!), but I have made LS for laundry, and I use it in my machine at any temps. It can be used for hand-washing, though a significant portion of my handwash are wool-based handknits and so I keep the homemade soap well away from them (those I use a no-rinsing, no-agitation cleaner).

Really? I use my powdered dissolved in cold water to handwash or delicate wash the handknits my bff makes for me and it works quite well. Am I doing it wrong?

Really? I use my powdered dissolved in cold water to handwash or delicate wash the handknits my bff makes for me and it works quite well. Am I doing it wrong?

I'm paranoid about felting/fulling my woolens, even if they're superwash and thus not supposed to do that anyways. :) I've had one bad experience (admittedly with one of the few non-superwash wool yarns I've used), and that's tainted my whole view.

I make liquid laundry soap out of my soap bars. 1 bar grated. Melted down in hot water. In 5 gallon bucket add 1 cup borax, 1 cup washing soda, your melted soap, incorporate till powders are dissolved. Add enough water to fill bucket. Stir. Let sit overnight to gel. Stir next day to incorporate and lumps of gel. This recipe makes a watery thin soap that works great however personally I double the soap, borax and watching soda to make it a thicker more "store" like consistency.

Latest posts

Back