Ideas for lard percentages

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irishgem29

Reaction score
So all this talk of how lard is wonderful and makes a great bar of soap I decided to give it a try. Although I'm not sure how much to use. I have coconut, olive, castor and butters in mango, Shea and cocoa. What can I use with the lard to come up with something decent? I tried using soap calc to create a few and just got frustrated as I don't understand the lard addition yet. Any ideas appreciated

Lard 55%
Coconut Oil 20%
Olive Oil 20%
Castor Oil 5%

Superfat 5-8%

If you add butters to this, you won't know what you love. Make the plain first, then make a batch with one butter, then another with the other butter, etc. Let them cure 4-6 weeks. Then test them all against one another to see what you think.

Last edited:
I use anywhere from 30-80% lard in soap. When I first used it, I did 80% lard, 15% coconut & 5% castor, just so I could really see what it was about. I liked that recipe so well that it's common in my rotation.

Thank you all so much. I got a headache trying to come up with something. These are great ideas. Now I can make some more soap!

I have a batch of Lard 80%, CO 20% curing right now. I called it "A Little Piggy" and colored it pinkish. I can't wait to try it. I did add sugar, though, to boost bubbles.

Hahaha every time I make an 80% lard batch it ends up with "piggy: in the name: "Orange piggy", "blue piggy" and right now theres "meadow piggy" :p
+1 to the sugar

I have a batch that just came out of cure, the oil bill is:
95% Lard
5% Castor oil

with a 5% superfat and the FO is BB's Cedar & Saffron

I'll admit it's not very lather-y but it does fine and its performance is my wife's favorite of any batch I've made thus far.

You could try 65% lard, 30% coconut oil and 5% Castor oil. It would be a sudsy, high cleansing bar. Or, 55% lard, 25% coconut, 15% cocoa butter and 5% Castor for a hard bar that is not so cleansing.

I just tried that 80% lard, 20% coconut oil soap this morning. It is absolutely amazing! The creamiest lather I have EVER experienced. I will add castor oil at 5-6% next time. I can only imagine what that soap is going to be like...and I have too much soap on hand to make it tomorrow. :(

So I ended up using.....
16 oz lard
4oz coconut
2.78 oz lye
7.6 distilled h20
I also added about 1t alkanet powder for color and lavender & lemon eo.
I will be trying it out next!

Now that i has been enough time to cure that is

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back